Rope-ladder & Calgary Aquaplane - BN24

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

HughN
CMBA Member: 0

Rope-ladder & Calgary Aquaplane - BN24

Post by HughN »

After fifty-nine years and five generations, our family holiday home in Pevensey is being sold. As a result, I'm having a clear out and have:

A rope ladder with wooden rungs that came with a Pearly Miss in the late 60s....

A Calgary Aquaplane. I've never seen another, but do know P G Woodhouse mentions Bertie Wooster using one! This old photo shows you the idea.
https://www.historicimages.com/1936-pre ... plane-race
A piece of board with a handle and upon which you stand and balance. It takes practice but when I was using it in the 1970s, the risk of falling off into a slick of sewage concentrated the mind and tuned muscles, nerves and sinews alike.

If you want them and can collect them from Pevensey Bay sometime in August, they're yours for a donation to the British Heart Foundation - I want to see video proof of the Aquaplane in use! :hilarious:
South Saxons - "we wunt be druv".

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Rope-ladder & Calgary Aquaplane - BN24

Post by Rapier »

At 6 I learnt to 'ski' on an Aquaplane ...like wood water skis are very sought after on ebay as decorations. Ours was known as the Green Submarine and it went into the Rhodesian boiler eventually.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

HughN
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Rope-ladder & Calgary Aquaplane - BN24

Post by HughN »

I once came off and it started to dive quicker than a Croation footballer, embedding itself into the sand and bringing the boat (an 11ft Dory) to an immediate halt. All because the lookout was looking the wrong way and talking to the driver. :roll:
South Saxons - "we wunt be druv".