Broom Rapier Mk. 2

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Broom Rapier Mk. 2

Post by Rapier »

I use Korapur Marine (bought from Aquafax) - at least I think is this tube...pic taken in Mar 2006 and I've heard nothing untoward from the next owners who sold it on 2 years ago. Varnish was / is always Epifanes clear, after a disastrous effort in 2005 with Ultravar 2000 PU varnish - it had a hard finish and during the winter damp got in under the edge of the deck and I had to redo that summer. It was a real pain to get off and in places lifted the grain... You need Epifanes as it has enough tung oil to soak in and keep the damp out of the ply - I can't remeber if I used Owatrol mixed to help the flow when brushing / tipping off though..which is what I do now. Recently tried International Classic on the PM's seats and found you can't build up coats quickly enough (there was a suspicious wiff of uncured varnish around us on the Thames run...).
Attachments
Picture 171sealant.jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Woodwych »

More progress. The new sapele has been fitted to the frame under the seat where there was evidence of old woodworm.Again another plug for Robbins Timber who cut it 19mm thick rather than all the current stock of 18mm. It makes all the difference -at least to me!
The damaged bow has been repaired and the 12inch deep clamp arrived from Florida ( to join a small selection of tools that I have that will probably only be used once) and worked a treat to bond and straighten the transom.
IMG_4374.jpg
IMG_4374.jpg (15 KiB) Viewed 14293 times
Bow handle acting as template as epoxy sets
Bow handle acting as template as epoxy sets
IMG_4377.jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 14293 times
IMG_4373.jpg
IMG_4373.jpg (13.18 KiB) Viewed 14291 times

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

On a tangent- I have restored the original trailer. Whilst it may not get much motorway use it seems a shame to not have it looking good.
IMG_4252.jpg
IMG_4648.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Interesting leaf spring trailer, must be original with the hitch - did it have a maker's plate?

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

B&B leamington Spa- I think my previous Penn Craft trailer was the same..

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Did it create hard spots on the boat? Am just another armchair critic, but from experienece of similar trailers on wood boats I'm a believer that bunks are best. Even keel rollers are an issue with one of my trailerable boats, but I've never found another way to support the keel on tango, given it's strange shape.

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

Yep it damaged the boat. Big gouge from the front support and a large concavity caused by the rear supports. The rear ones were directly on the seam of the bottom where the ply sheets meet :grrr: Of course it has sat on the trailer a long time. Going forwards the old trailer would only be used in the garage and without the outboard, if my proper trailer is being used with projects new..

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

Paint. Steep learning curve. Done roll and tip before but managed to balls up the bottom red and had to rub it all back again.I'd made the rookie mistake of trying to lay it on too thick and insufficient 'tipping' meant that there were little air bubble volcanoes everywhere :grrr:
Lesson leaned I moved onto the topsides which are looking good.
Despite using the finest masking tapes the simple fact of masking 6 times along the join meant that I needed to use a detailing black stripe for neatness.
Suspect (and hope) the finish is similar to original, those being the days before airtight spray booths and emu feathers.. just a bloke in the corner of the factory with a brush..
Colour is Johnsons match to B&Q 'Planet Fever"
Colour is Johnsons match to B&Q 'Planet Fever"
IMG_4802.jpg (42.49 KiB) Viewed 13964 times
Original waterski in the background!
Original waterski in the background!
IMG_4923.jpg (10.98 KiB) Viewed 13962 times
Irritating that the screw head isn't vertical but they are brass and soft and I'd already snapped a couple and had to re-epoxy the hole :(
Irritating that the screw head isn't vertical but they are brass and soft and I'd already snapped a couple and had to re-epoxy the hole :(
IMG_4936.jpg (10.23 KiB) Viewed 13964 times

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

Hull flipped over and time for the decks. Its tricky sorting out the sequence of varnish, paint and faux deck stripes but I came up with a plan and stuck to it. Varnish first -masking off the outer edges. used Epiphanes roll and tip over the 3 coats of epoxy. Then masked off the stripes and painted them in the same off white colour that will cover the majority of the decks then I masked off the varnished and striped areas in order to apply the main areas of paint. It has been a terrible faff but has gone well, 3M blue masking tape 6mm thick was great and could be curved round quite tight curves.
IMG_5076.jpg
IMG_5076.jpg (13.24 KiB) Viewed 13757 times
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg (15.62 KiB) Viewed 13758 times
IMG_0033 (1).jpg
IMG_0033 (1).jpg (12.87 KiB) Viewed 13758 times
Never underestimate how much masking tape you need!

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

Finally finished the paint . Very happy. The cream colour is a good match for the original and having the faux deck seams the same works very well. Now time to fit all the fun stuff!
IMG_0023 (1).jpg