Glastron SSV-153 project

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Rapier, Alacrity

Re: Glastron SSV-153 project

Postby haventaclue » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:10 am

The gear-box will take the prop as it's the max RPM's that govern prop size.So if the 13" X19P aluminum was giving max rev,a drop to 17P for the S/S would be in order.Less give in the stainless
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist
haventaclue

Postby solitaire » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:58 am

For what its worth, Solitaire CVX16 on a similar hull came with a 19" prop and over revved - dont forget the 90hp engine is mapped differently to the 115, 140 150 and develops peak torque at a lower rpm - above the recommended max rpm the power curve takes a downward turn - Solitaire hit the sweet spot = two up, 1/2 fuel, and a tad trimmed out with a 20" Laser, (the Laser sizes are in even numbers for the small diam gear boxes. 18, 20, 22)
Glastron are not deep V or high performance - more a wide bodied lake and river boat, helm on the r/h side corrects any prop torque that you would get when you take off and more noticeably when you land- the boat would be thrown to one side - which unless your racing you dont want to be doing in a Glastron.
Offsets and jack plates are great for a narrow bodied deep V racers with tandem seating, but if you want a comfortable ride with the family aboard having then have the engine central and the cavitation plate no more than 2" above the bottom as the per OEM recommendation.
solitaire

Postby De Novo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:24 am

Thanks everyone for the useful info. It is obvious that testing will be necessary to get the set up right for me. This boat has been bought particularly to provide a boat which will tow easily to all the CMBA rallies whether bay,lake or loch! A tachometer seems vital too.

The speedo is an Airguide- you can get a whole book about how to restore them. Mechanically it functions, so just another item to take off /reseat/and test. It is missing the grommet seal for the glass (available) and the rubber knob off the fine adjuster (N/Av) so a trip to a car breakers to find something off an odometer I think.

g20.jpg

I want two 5 gallon ish tanks side by side under the aft deck, so the battery will move forward into a box mounted centrally near the front bulkhead.I can reinforce the floor there as I am replacing the whole floor.

g21.jpg
De Novo

Postby haventaclue » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:21 pm

When moving the battery forward,be sure to use a heavy enough gauge wire back to the engine..It could get very hot very quick :o
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist
haventaclue

Postby De Novo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:52 pm

I have decided to take all the fittings off, the base for the light pole had to come off and it had no bedding sealant. I am looking for a light pole.
g29.jpg

I will have to take out the front half height bulkhead to make floor replacement easier and that will enable me to get to the bow light and 'Hidden horn' as boasted about in the U.S. brochure. The black plastic grill behind the bow light is missing and I can't find replacements yet. The holes will be filled and maybe a black decal put on.
g31.jpg

The classic four wooden stripes have been off before as they have woodstain top and bottom. They are real teak so will go back on once varnished.
g23.jpg

The last time they came off some of the screws must have been hacksawed off as there are scratches in the gelcoat. I have done a test patch on the bow to see how well the gelcoat comes up using Ferecla G3 and sponges. Very good on white surfaces. I know several superyacht crew and one suggested that the scratches will improve if I rubbed G3 in them going along the scratches with a soft toothbrush. This works. I will use an acrylic sealer on the GRP once the boat has been polished all over.
g28.jpg
De Novo

Postby kgarla » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi, Just seen this, Looks a Great buy. Speak soon.... Engine offset as someone already said to offset torque steer.... Power Trim Tilt will be the hard part. Took us a year to locate one and think that was the last one ! Kgarla
kgarla

Previous

Return to Restoration Projects