Super V

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

TOM91
CMBA Member: 0

Super V

Post by TOM91 »

Hi All, Thought I'd post about the "restoration" of my Sims Super V.

A year and a half ago I Purchased this "Beauty" for the almighty sum of £80 with the intention of restoring it in place of my previous boat that was somewhat too small to be used in the Solent.

Picture of the old boat.
The attachment IMAG0972.jpg is no longer available
Picture of the replacement upon first "float test" to ensure that it's not going to sink.
The attachment DSC00606.JPG is no longer available
A Lot has happened since I purchased the boat. The main difference is the addition of an engine.
Old boat
Old boat
This fantastic Ebay purchase had strong compression on all three cylinders, it ran on land in a bucket and on flush muffs, but as soon as it came in to contact with the sea would not do much more than idle badly. My first thought was it was the flywheel which had an issue with the magnet retainers, so I purchased a new flywheel. when this was fitted the engine lost all spark completely. which turned out to be the stator. - my thoughts are the new flywheel generated a stronger magnetic field that then fried the old "last legs" stator. a new stator brought a considerably better idle, but unfortunately still had issues with propelling the boat in the sea.

Eventually it became apparent that the top carb was leaking fuel. This ultimately was the issue and allowed the boat to operate properly (if not at full potential).
Last edited by TOM91 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Super V

Post by Rapier »

Hi & welcome to the forum, not sure what happened to your pics, but were they resized before posting?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

TOM91

Post by TOM91 »

EDIT- fixed... I think.

Hi Rapier ,
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I do not know what's happened to the photos, copied the URL from Google photos. I seem to be able to see them, but in a different browser i cannot. In the meantime. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the album: https://goo.gl/photos/BS5yc5g4yB9WZiBq8
Hope that works.

Tom

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

If it were me,I would start compression,spark fuel and with carburetors,clean,blow with compressed air and rebuild,and work from there.
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

TOM91

Post by TOM91 »

Hi Haventaclue,
That was the process that was taken. what was strange was the engine ran fine on land in a bucket or on flush muffs, even when engaging gears (in the bucket). but as soon as it made contact with the Solent it chickened out. it was the Top carb leaking was suspected when it was running but found properly when rebuilding.

Shortly after getting the engine running properly, we were tuning the engine in the patch of water next to our house. once we felt that the engine was running as it should have been we ventured round up and round the corner. (local area all with land within 10m). Unfortunately, the engine stopped and would not restart for more than a few seconds without pumping the priming bulb. using our electric outboard we moved ourselves to the side where we started pulling the boat by hand (like a horse powered narrow boat) back to the trailer. when one of my neighbours spotted us and towed us home. (she is a powerboat instructor, and was teaching sea rescues).
DSC_0134.JPG
thankfully, the issue was a simple one the fuel pump diaphragm had split, since fixing this the engine has not missed a beat. regular maintenance and checking ensures that the engine is in tip top condition. :wot:

Since then the boat has been cosmetically improved, starting with the construction of a rear bench. i'll post some photos when i get a chance.