Glastron SSV-153 project

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

De Novo
CMBA Member: 974

Glastron SSV-153 project

Post by De Novo »

OK , so I have just started the rebuild of my Draco 2000 DC, but when I saw this I could not resist. The Draco will be a long project, but this should be simpler and it fits in an ordinary garage; well, my mother's garage. It is a seriously shallow V hull form, not at all like all the other boats I have had, so should provide a different speedboat experience. Very original boat - 1978 with it's original '78 Mercury 90hp six cylinder engine. Always wanted a six cylinder Merc. Engine started first time, but a couple of bits missing and it is not power tilt & trim. Boat needs a new floor which is on two levels and has built in foam buoyancy above the floor so not simple, and some gelcoat repairs.
g1.jpg
Does anybody know if you can just add the PTT unit ? serial number 5033721. Last owner complained of bow up running but he didn't seem to be that aware of engine trim. all I know is that I am always on the trim button when running around.
g2.jpg
Full cover is a bonus, it needs a new rear window and every stitched seam re-done; SKB sails in Penryn have provided this service on the cover for the Draco so will use them again.
g3.jpg
g4.jpg
Steering wheel looks original, seats have Roger Clark Marine embossed in them which lead me to discover he built them on license from Glastron in the U.K.
Speedo looks great, I hope it works.
g5.jpg
Serial number of boat on plaque. 78519153. Apparently 78 = year 519= number 153=model.Sounds right.
g6.jpg
A pair of these at the back of the cockpit. What are they?

£1100 delivered to my hometown of Falmouth. First identified problem- it has too much weight on the trailer hitch- I can barely lift it! Boat could go backwards or axle could move forwards. Trailer looks good, I will fit new bearings and hitch for safety, as I am determined to make this the boat to take us to the Poole rally or further!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Glastron SSV-153 project

Post by Rapier »

Welcome! Looks like a good project with it's original '78 motor. The Mercury and grey Mariner versions of the 90s are great motors & liked for their torque, for waterskiing. The PT&T units from the 90/115 of that era should bolt on but worthwhile asking around for compatibility. Looks like you need a decent jockey wheel though..bust a gut trying to lift that nose weight.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

Move the axle forward,me thinks,as the transom is already past the end of the bunks.I think,75kgs on the hitch is max,if my memory serves me right,I have mine at 50kgs.And yup a good jockey wheel
This is the type of tilt system for that age of engine https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Mercury-7 ... 2779609477 ,for illustration purposes only.
Nice boat by the way.Hmmmmmm and my ever patient wife has just asked me what I want from Santa :D :D
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Don't forget of course we are in Falmouth every September for our 4 day rally there based at the Maritime Museum - you should be able to get to that one!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

De Novo

Post by De Novo »

Thanks Rapier, I am searching for a PT&T unit everywhere I can. Haventaclue- your photo will be very useful. I have found the solution to the nose weight ,you will not believe it...see photo below. Alacrity- My tag 'De Novo' is the name of our Draco boat project, our current boat is the yellow Hunt 14 'Bonbon', as seen at Falmouth rally! It was your tower of power that took me back in time to my teenage years of desperately wanting a Merc 6. What have I let myself into !?
I have spent a whole day tearing apart the Glastron. Engine is off, seats and carpet out.

Seats are waterlogged, the grey vinyl is no good, the white an red plasticised material for the stripe is amazingly good though, and cleaned up well using Muc-off. I am hoping I can find someone to part rebuild them.
g7.jpg
g14.jpg

Seat frames are hardwood and have stood up to sitting on the soggy carpet. Discovery number one- the carpet was originally red.
g15.jpg
Discovery number two- the engine- which has only ever been in the one position, is offset to starboard by over 40mm, I don't know why- is this for a good reason?
g16.jpg
And Disco three. 1.5 m back from the nose there is a half height bulkhead 300mm higher than the floor; hiding behind it was...
g17.jpg
Must be 50kg there. My incredulity turned to :hilarious: when I saw what type of sand had been used ! Last owner was a builder. I will be re-thinking my trailer balance when the engine is back on.
I happily chuckled to myself as I threw the bags off the stern one at a time, then I froze. I had, of course, unknowingly relied on all that nose weight while I had happily been walking around the cockpit all day; no support under the back of the trailer... I had images of the nose disappearing up into the garage ceiling (my mothers garage ceiling). How did I get out ? Walk through windscreen of course !!!

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Hi John, it will be good to see another 'tower' at the Falmouth 'do'!

My engine is also offset to stbd - I think it is to counteract prop torque but others may correct me here.

This should fly when its sorted, PTT is a must I would think, I will see what I have got.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Yes, the engine is offset to counteract torque , should be around 1 1/2 -2 ".

De Novo

Post by De Novo »

This is the prop I brought hurriedly on E-bay for the Mercury 900 (1978) after the seller broke the original on 'one last trip' before I bought it. The deal being he would reduce the price by what a new prop cost me.
Described as a Quicksilver, but VS1900 on an internet search only comes up under Suzuki. The size is right 13 x 19 as per the original.Is it right for me?
g12.jpg
g11.jpg
g10.jpg

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

19" pitch is about right, but you won't know for sure until you try it.is that the same size as the original owner was using ?

De Novo

Post by De Novo »

The seller gave me the broken prop. On it is M and H13x19P moulded into the aluminium so that's the same, On the prop boss is - 826074 8 22; but another question posed by a neighbour was 'can your engine gearbox take a stainless steel prop?' which the replacement is, I was not aware some engines couldn't.The engine is offset to starb'd 35mm - 1'' 3/8 ths so that will stay the way it is. The old ali 3 blader came like this , broken bits not included, should I chuck it?
g19.jpg
[attachment=0]

I have found on the internet http://www.tibus-boote.de a German site with classic Glastron spares. I will need their replacement black rubber 'D' section for the rubbing strip port side and the aluminium V shaped moulding that just sits right on the nose of the boat.