Page 3 of 3

Re: Glastron SSV-153 project

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:02 pm
by De Novo
I let the boat dry out for 3 weeks. Then the exciting/expensive bit, a visit to the GRP suppliers. A bootfull of stuff from there and a top notch twin cartridge mask from Trago's (local shop) and things start to go back in.
First piece of ply was the strip in the bottom of the hull, I coated the hull underneath it with white topcoat/flowcoat. The stringers are in place and have been final fitted, I will cut down the old GRP which held them in place whilst I got the heights right, and replace with new to obtain a good bond to the hull.
g45.jpg


A strange thing happened to the transom, the GRP developed a curve. Next restoration I will keep it clamped flat with some ply.
g46.jpg


Stringers in place and a good thick layer of topcoat.
g47.jpg

Re: Glastron SSV-153 project

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:32 am
by De Novo
I put the plywood transom back in three layers. As the outer GRP hull had warped, I used a piece of 25mm marine ply, bonding it to the hull with polyester paste using every clamp and spreader I have and a few wedges, with a temporary piece of 40mm old worktop on the outside to make sure it was all nicely flat. Left this dry for 48hrs. Then a layer of chopped strand mat which also bonded the thinner layer of ply needed to make up the desired transom thickness.
g48.jpg



I replaced the topside moulding onto the hull to ensure it was back into a good shape. The main and rear plywood floor pieces were laid in and chamfered to fit the hull. They were bonded to the stringers and hull with Sika and then a strip of GRP woven tape to hold them until I have put the full GRP layer on top. I replaced the forward section (which never gets any weight on it) with honeycomb plastic covered top and bottom with GRP. All ply was Marine and covered with resin.
g49.jpg

Re: Glastron SSV-153 project

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:01 am
by De Novo
The topside moulding had to be removed again so I could get to the transom to replace the two supports. These have also been made out of 20mm plastic honeycomb which will be covered in two layers of 450g CSM.
Here they are just taped in place. The boat now felt super rigid. I feel I could put a 300hp Verado on that transom now!
g50.jpg


The aft floor piece had a ply filet glued and screwed into place to join the main floor section. I could now hold a dance on that floor!
g51.jpg


This first spell of replacing things has been very rewarding. I wonder when it all starts going wrong?

I am always inspired by the great Richard Stilgoe's motto for his D.I.Y. TV show : 'Please remember - the Titanic was built by professionals - Noah was an amateur ...'

Re: Glastron SSV-153 project

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:20 pm
by De Novo
Time for an update. Family matters (unfortunate) and work commitments (fortunate- all profits will go to the speedboat fund) stopped major works on the boat until recently.
There was a area of damaged GRP near the nose, chips and old holes that needed filling so that kept me busy. Got the gelcoat colour right 3rd time. Must have done 50 small repairs. Covered the whole floor in fibreglass, re-enforced critical areas and top-coated it all.

g62.jpg




The foam flotation was replaced in new sections fabricated from honeycomb and CSM. Pouring the foam is always an interesting job.

g61.jpg

g60.jpg



The top could then go back on the hull permanently. Bonded at the transom, Sikaflexed and screwed together all around the hull. The aluminium rubbing strip providing extra strength.

g57.jpg

Re: Glastron SSV-153 project

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 pm
by De Novo
Next some nice jobs. Bowlight just needed a new bulb. Windscreen only needed new neoprene bedding strips. Teak strips are original and screwed down with silicone underneath to make the job of inevitable removal for re-varnishing one day, much easier. Final coat of varnish will be applied later to seal screw heads, and to get a better finish...

g52.jpg

g53.jpg



Cleats, ski hooks, ali transom trim and engine well drain tubes all re-fitted with lashings of Sikaflex. Screws have been changed to bolts where possible. Drain tubes were found on-line (waveinn.com in Spain) and suit transom widths from 3/4 to 2 1/2 inch widths.

g55.jpg

g56.jpg

g54.jpg



Settled on a name. Not original(there is a CV21 in Florida with the same name) but suitable. Can you guess what the (junk shop find) aluminium letters are from?

g59.jpg

Re: Glastron SSV-153 project

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:24 pm
by De Novo
Fitted a new switch panel, four switches because it filled the space where the old switch was. I will fit a separate switch for the automatic bilge pump so what can the others do? I have a bow mounted combined port/starboard side light unit and have found an old pole mounted all round white light that can go on the rear deck; do I wire these up together as my 'Nav lights' and a separate switch/supply to the all round white as an 'anchor light' or just separately ?

g64.jpg



The floor is nearly complete so I have trial fitted the seats and overall cover, a few pop studs needed moving. As the boat is carpeted, the cover will be on as much as possible so I decided that the two stainless steel cover supports will have to travel around with the boat but did not want them resting either on the back deck or the windscreen so I am making them able to fold up and go in the underfloor ski locker. The cover fits in the glovebox! This may be the definition of 'making work for yourself'.

g63.jpg

g66.jpg

g67.jpg



The supports will be cut and these S/S folding joints fitted two per hoop. The joints are 3mm too big on internal diameter so I have to sleeve them with aluminium pipe.
Be brave. Measure twice cut once.

g65.jpg