Donzi Hornet

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Donzi Hornet

Post by solitaire »

Please let me start this post with an apology for not being in attendance at CMBA events this year, this is the reason (in short), There is an interesting back story and I should be able to put a small article together for the mag.)
- On a cold January morning this year, while having a cuppa' in a lockkeepers hut with moonman - I got a call from friends in the US telling me to expect a "gift".
I had thought - it may have been an old outboard motor, but in early March I got a surprise when this arrived -
UK arrive 14318    1.JPG
UK arrive 140318 5.JPG
Its a Donzi Hornet 19 - built early 1968 and one of the original 3 boat line up when Donzi started building boats in Miami - 1964.

This Hornet - Hull number 37 was built as a bench seat model but late 1968, the factory had decided to make a 2+3 version so the bench seat deck was removed and she became the first Donzi Hornet 2+3.

She still has her original Holman Moody 351 Ford Windsor engine and Volvo Penta 250 drive, and the boat is 95% original.

Luckily she has always been in fresh water - on Mountain Lake Virginia, and has had 3 previous owners - all on the lake, but sadly now at 50 years old she's showing some signs of poor maintenance and neglect. To that end I have spent the spring and summer stripping out the boat for a total refit - having just turned the corner and beginning to put things back together, - I thought I should share my progress:-

Engine bay on arrival :-
b hole 1.JPG
Engine Bay today - still "Work in Progress" :-
sept 7.JPG
There is still a ton of stuff to do - but will have her on the water next year.

Diomedea

Re: Donzi Hornet

Post by Diomedea »

That's some friends you have there!
Super project and look forwards to your updates.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Lovely work as ever Solitaire, we missed you at Cardiff this year.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

:thumbsup: cracking job Solitaire

Can't wait to hear that engine fire up!
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

The Hornet is coming along well, Does anyone have an spare Volvo 250-280 drive transit bracket - (The bit that supports the weight of the drive when its being transported and saves it bouncing and breaking the tilt mechanism)
Looks like this !
Volvo leg support.jpg