Shakespheare?

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Shakespheare?

Post by floater »

View of my boat inside looking aft part way through the resto. the brackets are to attach the seat frame which is only 3" tall topped with a 1/2" base with 4" of foam. If I had made the seat frame any taller I would not be able to get the tanks in over it, as it is the seat base still has to come out. The 3 holes are inspection hatches handy if you are nervous about water ingress. you can see that my splashwell is lower than yours so I was limited in what would fit under it. the tanks I have only go in to about halfway.
Attachments
P1020446small.jpg

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

I have a ss tank that's 9"x 13" x 30" your welcome to it if it fits, keep up the good work. I can't get anything done with this weather :grrr:

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

I was thinking of going with something like this and being able to put the tank(s) under the seat or look like this http://people.dsv.su.se/~klas/Boats/Sup ... sman3.html when it's finished :D Chance would be a fine thing.
Floater,if my memory serves me right,you told be you had the tank in the bow section when I was chatting to you in Cardiff.I have considered that,my only worry is the distance from the tank to the engine.I know you have no problems,did you use 10mm / 3/8" id fuel line? Also I'm thinking of getting closed cell foam sprayed into the bow section for buoyancy,replacing the original areoboard that was there.Or am I half mad? :hmmm:
Thanks for the offer Fergal, :drink: I'll think about it for awhile.We have had a couple of nice sunny days up here but the wind blowing through the garage would skin an elephant.Hope it improves a lot before the end of the month.
But with a thought of putting the fuel tank in the bow section it would be very useful though I prefer the portable tanks to move from boat to boat,though when "Murphy's Law" becomes seaworthy "NO-KIT" is going in to see if I can do anything with all the mistakes I made when putting her together. :oops:
Attachments
Hoping it'll look half as good
Hoping it'll look half as good
18758-shakespeare-super-v-sportman-17.jpg (3.69 KiB) Viewed 11743 times
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

haventaclue wrote:Floater,if my memory serves me right,you told be you had the tank in the bow section when I was chatting to you in Cardiff.I have considered that,my only worry is the distance from the tank to the engine.I know you have no problems,did you use 10mm / 3/8" id fuel line?
Yes 53L tank (http://shop4tanks.co.uk/plastic-tanks/o ... itres.html) up front mounted long side beamwise 2" in front of the flange at the front of the floor. The tank I have has very similar proportions to what sean-nós is offering so rip his arm off. I looked through my stash of pictures of the boat but failed to find a veiw of the instalation to post. It is all a bit of a tight fit. I made a sort of ladder frame from 1" square teak to sit the tank on with a 1/4" ply surround fitted to the profile of the hull all round and generously glassed in place. The corners of the tank are about 1 1/2 " off the hull at the closest point with about 3" headrom from top of tank to inside of deck just enough for the filler.
I use 3/8" pipe and was also a bit worried that the pump on the motor wouldn't draw it, but because of the angle of the boat I think the pump only has to overcome the drag in the line not actualy lift any fuel. I have a switchover valve behind the rear seat on the inside of the splashwell to swap between bow tank and 30L Hulk reserve tank in the back.The fuel line then runs to a seperating filter mounted inside the stbd side of the splashwell.

As an aside the 53L tank I have also fits very neatly behind the rear seats in the space I had planned to use for the two 30L (although as I said earlier i now only use one of them) I am keeping an eye out for another exactly the same if I can get one cheap enough. I can then have a fuel guage on that tank too which I cant do with the hulk tank.

Did you see the pic I posted at the bottom of page 4? it shows the boat in the water with only one 30l tank in the back before I fitted a tank up front.

This may all be geting a bit ahead of where you are at the moment but may help you to plan things in advance and avoid problems later.

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

I did see the photo,I bet that drew a bead of sweat the first time you hit the throttle :giggle: I have installed a "Moller" fuel sender in the hulk tank you see in the pic I posted.It works well.But I now have a few things to think about.Sean Nós says I can't have the arm :cry: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the ideas,it'll keep me awake for a few nights

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Well I have been plugging away at this,and made a little progress to the point I got her arse wet a fortnight ago.Some of you will know how that turned out for Sean-Nós and "Old's Cool", :( .I had been waiting to post an update of progress but that weekend took the joy out of it.But here's a few pics
Attachments
Photo0246.jpg
Front is the original wrapround from '69.Is it possible for black to fade to white over 40 years
Front is the original wrapround from '69.Is it possible for black to fade to white over 40 years
Ready to swap from the '69 manual tilt to the back saving power tilt from a '77 115.
Ready to swap from the '69 manual tilt to the back saving power tilt from a '77 115.
Painted and powdered
Painted and powdered
Ready for the road
Ready for the road
Last edited by haventaclue on Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

And a video from Fergal of her in full flight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-z8U7OFM-o

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Looks lovely, hope to see it in the flesh sometime.

Has Fergal recovered his boat yet?? :(
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Not yet but a long day with a sonar on Friday over the area has still to be totally studied,however we thought she had been found,the shape was the same,but unbelievably,it was not it,neither was it a known wreck.Fergal has posted a video of the sonar images and a video of the find on facebook. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GuvqWNQQDI
It is amazing how difficult it is to pinpoint an exact location on a chart of where she sunk.I had though it happened further North,yet when we went down the lough I could see land marks that put us much further South,Fergal was right :) .So hopefully the scans will show something up.
The video of the run up shows how calm it was,less than two hours later on the way back down the wind had blown the water into very high short waves and us past the point of no return.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Will cross fingers for a successful recovery, but do feel for him :shock:

That 800 is very smart, I've the little 500 of '69 - it's been a gem for 9 years but needs a birthday now.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...