Pearly Miss no2 Restoration

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Pearly Miss no2 Restoration

Post by floater »

I would go with the etch primer but use something more flexable than epoxy that may split off if dinked and trap water. something like bitumous paint for unseen areas although Im not sure about it's durability regarding petrol. in reality the primer and a coat of gloss Danboline may be enough. The ideal is to stop water sitting in an area which is where the problem arises.

:nice: and as I noticed at Cardiff, litteraly blinding in sunlight.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Weekend's work involved red dye..waste of time..and about 600 litres of water to do a leak check after fixing the few I thought I'd find..the outcome was inevitable once I knew what was a suspect pit. Part II will involve testing again, but I think there is another large leak under one of the latitudinal stringers and can only think of mapping the position of the rivets hidden under them and drilling through each stringer then countersinking a hole large enough to inspect each one, perhaps is another missing shank... The later boats went away from this build and I know why now.

Oh, and it didn't help that some cat thinks it's fun to use my pea-gravel to do it's business in a couple of times a day. The mind boggles at what the smell and mess would be like while one writhes around trying to get purchase on a rivet with rivet gun.
Attachments
Picture 197 (Large).jpg
Picture 196 (Large).jpg
Picture 195 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Forgotten how long ago this was updated...all holes plugged now and numerous runs had with an irritating 40hp Ski Twin that won't rev. Hopefully fixed today.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Replaced the old upright screen last weekend in favour of this remade Broom Gemini version. I'd kept and original, but had broken into 3. New 3mm polycarbonate did the trick - I used 2mm on another Gemini restoration and it was a bit floppy. Somehow I managed to drill some extra holes :hmmm:, but it's worth it in the end.

Plan to change the steering wheel, add a jackplate and run the 45hp Mercury 400 on it. Struggling to find a cobrahead loom that isn't perished somewhere along it's length (my garage is littered with short sections of loom, in the vain effort to trace the corroson / break, failing that will just do a push button start..
Attachments
P1250185 (Large).JPG

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

That is a beautiful job. :thumbsup:
I have read about people splitting the cobra head in half and rewiring a full loom,epoxying the two halves together again,haven't tried it myself but if the Devil drives,I might
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

haventaclue wrote:That is a beautiful job. :thumbsup: I have read about people splitting the cobra head in half and rewiring a full loom,epoxying the two halves together again,haven't tried it myself but if the Devil drives,I might
Thanks, I'll see if I can find the details; I bought them on the basis they were visibly unmarked, so might be a good winter project. These guys supply the CDI versions, but it's a hard plug.
http://www.mareng.co.uk/advanced_search ... 1&x=80&y=9

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

Ouch,plus 17 1/2% VAT :o
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

haventaclue wrote:Ouch,plus 17 1/2% VAT :o
20% now..Money for old rope.

Patches
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Patches »

Hi Rapier

My first post here after purchasing Love Potion :wot:
I shall collect her once lockdown eases or if work takes me to Cornwall, maybe sooner. Ben said he purchased her from you, I read these threads prior purchase which gave me the confidence to “buy it now” unseen. He tells me you purchased it from an owner on the Thames, I was just wondering whereabouts as I shall spend many Summer days on the Thames around Radcot/Lechlade. He tells me it’s leaking like a sieve though!

Will be in touch and maybe catch up at one of the events once things get back to some kind of normality.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

NIce buy - it was a favourite, but my circumstances changed as a result of the Brexit vote and I had to sell all my boats.

It looked like it needs a rivet or two from the video and I'd do an impeller change and check the thermostat of that BigTwin - unfortunately 62 years of use and trailering does these boats no favours, so it's always a case of ongoing maintenance. I've had 4 Pearly's, a Sea King and a Lone Star, only one was entirely leak free. It came from a woman in Ruislip (I think); her late husband had used it as a tender to their motorboat at Hayling Island, but it also had a Thames Water Licence valid for 1983, so perhaps that pre-dated or post-dated the story.
Attachments
LovePotion.jpg
DJI_0219.jpg
Picture 035 (Large).jpg