Wooden Hoffman runabout restoration

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

neilgreenfield
CMBA Member: 0

Wooden Hoffman runabout restoration

Post by neilgreenfield »

DSC03030.jpg
Hi
I am currently renovating an 18ft wooden speed boat, and as ive had a long term interest in electric conversions, and this restoration's engine is proving a pain... ive decided to look at Electric Power.
Has anyone got any experience with this?
In america, it seems to be a every day thing, but in Britain, we seem to be making a meal of it... so im after some simple information and help.
thank you
Neil
Last edited by neilgreenfield on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: ELECTRIC MOTOR in Hoffman runabout

Post by se7en »

Google in " Lynch motor" and do some surfing, you will find all the infomation you need.

neilgreenfield

Post by neilgreenfield »

Thanks.. The motors are the easy bit lynch, lemco, etek... But its the where to buy from and sizes, battery quantity etc is not overly clear.

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

:nice: There are a few guys on Glen-L building electric boats that might be worth a look http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewforum. ... b7c38e4fc4

One of the BOAT YARD TV programs had a good story on an electric boat but I could only find this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7uOZZiz ... er&list=UL

neilgreenfield

Post by neilgreenfield »

thank you... i seem to remember it was on Quest and the chap was in the camberley area..

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Hi -I managed a small upper Thames boatyard for a while - we built very popular 14-30ft electric launches - initially with lynch motors and in house control units - the lynch motors are among the best and most efficient, and I think you can still buy a package direct from Lynch (they used to be in Honiton - Devon) - as production prices increased we found it better to buy in the complete package and to this end - we ended up with the Vetus system - the initial cost may seem high - but when you add up what you get, the quality and service, it was well worth the change
If you contact Bill Lampard at MEC (Wyatts Boatyard - Wargrave on Thames) you will should get a good deal and very friendly and helpful service (mention - Andre), Bill has been the Thames Vallety Vetus main agent for years and he supplies the Thames yards (whats left of them!) with their electric propulsion systems.

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

neil - this may be a lead - depends how fast you want to go - but a single 2kW will push her along well enough
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/php/ ... ef=F221623

neilgreenfield

Post by neilgreenfield »

thank you ever so much... can you remember from practical experience, what size motors, voltage etc to what size boat?
thank you again
neil

neilgreenfield

Post by neilgreenfield »

sinbad1405 wrote:neil - this may be a lead - depends how fast you want to go - but a single 2kW will push her along well enough
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/php/ ... ef=F221623
ive been looking on the internet some more and it looks like the vetus solution is a 2kw motor... but these seem to be in 14ft boat doing 5 knots.. :-(

AGIN, i think make the Etek.. they do a 4.8kw @ 24vlt, max 15kw, for sensible money

neilgreenfield

Post by neilgreenfield »

opps... its a MARS ME0708