Albatross Alpine Continental Slipper Stern

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Re: Albatross Alpine Continental Slipper Stern

Post by Tatra Man »

I suspect the original fixings used "wedgelock" nuts. I'll try to get some photos of 2003 later as it's different from 2002 and probably more like 2010.

Any chance you can get photos of both sides of your engine cover please? - See new thread.
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

happyguts
CMBA Member: 919

Post by happyguts »

After the weekend of indulgence from the albatross racing the urge to progress has resurfaced
John fildes introduced me to the owner of my boat from the years 1967 ish to 1998 , lovely guy who brought some pics to show me , had a long chat with him and myself and Darren has been invited round for coffee where he will get some more pics down from the attic and I can have copys ....how nice
Just two tasters for me , will get some more of the history on here soon
Cheers John
id rather be a pretend somebody than a real nobody
`The River Rats Speedboat Club`
" you say shame on me ...I say shame on you "

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

happyguts wrote:new problem but solvible
the slight water leak which was a concern last wednesday became a massive leak yesterday after our jolly in beccles , to the degree we nearly went down :help: ...lol
the p-bracket which was recently fitted lost two bolts and worked the others lose ..lucky we was nearly at the slipway

just so i know ....whats the best way of securing everything up ( apart from the obvious do them up more than finger tight ) .......any particular , nuts bolts , gaskets , mastics we should use
Tatra Man wrote:I suspect the original fixings used "wedgelock" nuts. I'll try to get some photos of 2003 later as it's different from 2002 and probably more like 2010.
Well 2003 has shakeproof washers over plain washers.

Personally I would have thought Albatross's usual solution of using wedgelock nuts everywhere would have been better but maybe they didn't use them because they couldn't get them in stainless. It may be worth searching out stainless nylock nuts or, if yours is like mine, using Locktite.

rnb
CMBA Member: 0

Post by rnb »

That P-Bracket looks exactly like the one i bought from Ray Wright for my Delta about 10-15 years ago , has the same casting I.D's .

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

Which raises in my mind the question as to whether the ones on Alpines are the same as the ones on Continentals or not. My other Alpine (2002) has a (rather rusty) steel P-bracket with only four mounting screws.

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

happyguts wrote: .......any particular , nuts bolts , gaskets , mastics we should use
Another thought:- In view of the perennial problem of the alloy in that area work-hardening and cracking due to the vibration, is there any mileage in sandwiching a sheet of rubber on each side, such as something cut from an old inner tube? I'm thinking P-bracket - rubber gasket - outer skin & inner structure - rubber gasket - stainless plate - washers - nylock nuts.

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

happyguts wrote:Image
Proves the twin exhausts aren't a recent mod! :perfect:

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

Just thought I'd compare the position of 2010's twin exhausts (apologies for quality) with the two (one blanked off but still visible) on 2002 and the one on 2003.