Penn Craft Restoration

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Penn Craft Restoration

Post by Woodwych »

IMG_0721.jpg
Only 2 weeks since purchase and I've already had great advice from this forum- thanks all.
Thought I'd start a restoration thread and continue the shameless asking of questions!
Bought on ebay, I didn't have a chance to view but it looked very pretty and was wood and fitted in my garage so I risked it.

Identified as a Pencraft (I'm keen to find out more/anything about the company) it seems in good condition.I'm not keen on the colour scheme and under those bright red areas there is lovely wood to varnish.

I've done the fun bit of removing the deck hardware, steering wheel, speedo (unconnected, need to sort out a pitot tube) pulley steering system. Most of this is in quite a poor state so needs re-chroming
IMG_0758.jpg
The main headaches (apart from how much money to throw at the unusual outboard !) are these 2 strange oval areas and the corresponding tubes above.
IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg
I think at one point someone tried to convert it to some sort of water jet boat. They've come out today leaving 2 fetching oval holes.

I'd really appreciate advice on the best way of repairing the hull where they've been.Do I need to expand the hole the hole to get support under the keel and bulkheads or is an overlapping epoxied sheet of ply in that rectangular void strong enough?
IMG_0765.jpg
IMG_0764.jpg
Last edited by Woodwych on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Pencraft Restoration

Post by se7en »

Get a peace of ply the same thickness as the bottom, put a scarff on it and one on the edges of the hole, about a 12-1 angle, and epoxy them together, if you read the west systems manuals on there web site, it tells all you need to know.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Here are a few pics of another. Motor is a 1960 18hp Evinrude Fastwin.
Attachments
Cardiff CMBA 07 594 (Large).jpg
Cardiff CMBA 07 591 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

Its upside down now and lots of scraping and sanding, still seems very sound without any rot.
IMG_0801.jpg
Had a happy hour cleaning black Hammerite off a plaque on the presumably original trailer to reveal "Bamber Engineering" and a serial number.Seems they still exist as part of another trailer company.
IMG_0802.jpg
Found a couple of adverts for them.
Wonder if anyone currently makes horse boxes and supplies Aston Martin!
Im19380701CM-Bramber.jpg
Im1952Autocar-Bramber.jpg

Woodwych

Re: Penn Craft Restoration

Post by Woodwych »

Well I've learnt about scarfing and very dusty and tedious it is too!
IMG_0840.jpg
Then epoxy which I'm getting better at.
IMG_0959.jpg
And some history on Penn-Craft from a very helpful curator at Bridport museum

"
We have some information in our Local History Centre about the company in the form of notes as follows:

There were three associated companies in the area which shared workers and designs so it is a bit confusing to work out who made what and when.

The Aquacraft Company at Pymore made ‘Healey’ boats as a subcontractor. The designer was Geoffrey Lord. Boats were later made from glass fibre in Warwick. When Acquacraft closed some of the workers continued the business until Penncraft took over Acquacraft’s workmen and designs.

Penncraft began in West Bay and later moved to the Aquacraft site at Pymore, to old rope work buildings- the length was ideal for building boats, after WWII. It was owned by Mr. Penny (an Australian) who won a BBC competition ‘Get Ahead’, in conjunction with a national newspaper in which he won £5000. They made small hard chine speed boats up to 22 foot long, tenders and fishing boats using fibre glass. They employed around 50 or 60 people, so was quite a big firm.

Kit boats made by the company went all over the world. One model had a Ford Consul engine. Many were sent to America.

I have attached an image from our collection which looks similar to yours. It is an ‘Avenger’ constructed from marine plywood on hardwood laminated frames powered by an inboard petrol engine. The boat was designed by Geoff Lord, naval architect and owner of Aquacraft. The Avenger was based on an Italian boat called ‘Riva’"

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

I've got some more pics, including Rod Penny in the finned model. Will scan them when I can..

Rapier
Site Admin

Re: Penncraft Restoration

Post by Rapier »

Ron Penny...
Attachments
Penncraft Sportsman 11 No3.jpg
Penncraft - Ron Penny.jpg

moonman

Post by moonman »

Nick i think i may have seen these pictures before !!! :o

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

Post by Dakota »

Woodwych,

Are you able to post the image of the boat the curator sent you ?

I am interested to understand what the "Avenger" looked like plus what the kit boats fitted with a Ford Consul looked like ?

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

Dakota wrote:Woodwych,

Are you able to post the image of the boat the curator sent you ?

I am interested to understand what the "Avenger" looked like plus what the kit boats fitted with a Ford Consul looked like ?
Avenger.jpg
Voila