I've got the hump! (And I want to see yours!!)

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

I've got the hump! (And I want to see yours!!)

Post by Tatra Man »

Albatross Alpines 2002 and 2003 are now together for the first time in 51 years and make an interesting comparison. The most obvious difference is between the humps on the engine covers, something Albatross only put on the 4-seater Alpines.

That's 2002 in the foreground with a hump which looks very much like the later hulls and 2003 in the background with a hump not so-far found on any other hull. Closer observation, however, tells another story. Here are the tops and bottoms of both:-

Image Image Image Image

Clearly, the rivets holding the hump on 2003 have never been disturbed and the splash plate closing the front is fixed by the same 2BA countersunk screws and wedgelock nuts used elsewhere on the hull.

The cover on 2002 is a totally different story. The hump is bolted on and those bolts are not of the typical Albatross type and look closely and you can see a lot of rivets which have had the tops ground off and many of those are very close matches for the ones holding the hump on 2003 but skewed slightly anti-clockwise when viewed from the top and extending right to the back of the cover. There is also a row across the back and at least two rows across the front.

It looks to me as though 2002 had a wide flat hump similar to that on 2003 but skewed slightly and with riveted splash plates both front and rear, that at the front having been changed at least once. I know Albatross were still experimenting at that point and it's very obvious that the cover of 2002 has been badly butchered but what should I aim for?

The hump currently on 2002 appears to have the right end trims but does it come from another scrapped 4-seater Alpine? If so, who fitted it? Are there any numbers on engine covers? I can't find any although both hulls have the correct numbers on the backs of the rear seats.

Image Image

Where else were Albatross hulls numbered?

Now a plea for help:- Could any other 4-seater Alpine owners, particularly those with early hulls, please photograph both sides of their engine covers?
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

happyguts
CMBA Member: 919

Re: I've got the hump! (And I want to see yours!!)

Post by happyguts »

hi Paul
Just a quick one
Mines been stripped back and can't see any numbers anywhere any other pics of any area just ask
Rich
id rather be a pretend somebody than a real nobody
`The River Rats Speedboat Club`
" you say shame on me ...I say shame on you "

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

Many thanks, Rich.

Comparing the end trims and the apparent dimensions, your hump (2010) looks the same as the one retro-fitted (I assume) to 2002 but fitted on straight because it doesn't have to clear the longer cut-out. I would surmise that it's a genuine hump, either from a later Alpine or supplied by Albatross (although, in view of the fixings used, I would guess they didn't fit it).

Interesting to see that yours, like 2002's replacement, is bolted on whereas 2003's is riveted on and 2002 once had a riveted structure there as well.

As far as I'm aware, all later ones are like yours - unless anyone knows better! - Does anyone else have a riveted hump?

What I wouldn't give for period photos of 2002 and access to 2001 and 2004. :perfect: I wonder what number that red Irish one is. :hmmm:

Tatra Man

Post by Tatra Man »

Doubt had been expressed in the past over the originality of the hump on the engine hatch of 2003 as it differs from the standard hump. However, stripping the paint appears to confirm that it is original.

Everything matches right down to the zinc chromate primer as found on the rest of the boat. The rivets are undisturbed, the end band is also riveted and the end without a band is rolled the same way the deck is over the dash.

Having seen that beautiful picture of one of the Harrison's Alpines on the water I had assumed that the end bands were anodised but mine aren't and Rich's isn't - they're all painted.

I like the look of the Harrison's so I may polish it too. :perfect: