Rebuild Started - Wooden Runabout - now finished Jan 2021

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Bronteboxer
CMBA Member: 915

Re: Rebuild Started - Wooden Runabout

Post by Bronteboxer »

C871153F-1259-40B1-A47B-D7BC9315B129.jpeg
Succeeded in posting twice now! I give up!!, :woo:
Attachments
04D37DA1-1FA5-4DE9-9CAF-AB8F66C39864.jpeg

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Gosh, so many views...Is looking lovely.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

Thanks, for the link. The answer is what i thought it might be. The kill cord needs to put the live feed to earth and replicate the Mercury push kill button on the engine. In my case, that will be terminals m/m on the unit I bought shown above.

I will post some more pics when I can get the boat outside to take better shots and have the time to compress them to get them loaded.

I can’t believe over 44,000 have viewed my long term blog on this rebuild. It deserves an ending now!

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

Can anybody recommend a good make of flushing muffs for my Blueband 1975 Mercury 20 hp please?

No experience of this, so don’t want to buy something that isn’t up to the job. Could be expensive mistake!!

I’m still pressing on with the rebuild. Engine fitted, steering now sorted, next major task on list were the controls, now half done.

Never done any of this before, so it’s one step at a time. Probably easy for all you experienced guys, but a challenge for my total lack of boat experience. I’m getting there though and I think it’s looking quite good.

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Something like these in the link. I prefer a tank though. I have an old galvanized attic storage tank.
Another option would be a 40 gallon plastic barrel cut in half.Doesn't take up much room in the garage.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flush-Muffs-Ou ... B0184AVXI0
Muffs can give a false impression of good water pressure out of the tell tale,but it might only be pressure from the hose.

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

Thanks for the response. Sadly that unit is unavailable!

I have a plastic barrel which I have cut to size and use for testing and use that with an engine stand. I wanted the muffs just to put on the motor, to try and practice to start it fitted to the boat, before I get to launch for the first time.

It’s quite difficult to pull the cord from over the bridge between the rear seat well and the motor on the transom. It’s not the best of starters cold, but once run it’s fine. So the plan was, pull out the boat from the workshop, start engine, run up for a couple of minutes, then off to the local Staithe for a launch....

what could possibly go wrong for a first launch on a newly restored boat, home built trailer and a novice!!!.....

I’ll be posting the event when it happens, which will probably be in the dead of winter now.

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Bronteboxer wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:55 pm
what could possibly go wrong for a first launch on a newly restored boat, home built trailer and a novice!!!.....
There's not enough time to write what could go wrong :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:
But I know exactly what and why you are trying to do,I do the same myself but I have the luxury of a permanently filled tank in the back yard.Doesn't always reflect what happens when I get to the slip. :( :)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Outb ... 8018&psc=1
These are the ones I have,my Merc800 would run all day on them and not overheat, the 75hp Yamaha on the other hand overheats up in a couple of minutes on them

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

Thanks for the advice and the warning on their use. Sadly I can’t have a tank in a ready state. Every time I use mine it’s a challenge, so for a brief ‘preflight’ check I thought a muff would be helpful.

I now have the engine fitted, controls working, steering sorted and the kill switch installed. Last job yesterday was to fit the drain bung and finish off a couple of newly made oak fittings. I’m now about to rub down the deck for the 7th time. Revarnish, await setting and reassemble. As I won’t be in a position to do the first test launch in 2020, I’m hoping for a nice fresh day here In Norfolk early next year. It’s been a long haul, but I’m getting there.

Bronteboxer

Post by Bronteboxer »

I have now finally finished this long running restoration and the boat is ready for the water, as soon as we are allowed out!

Sadly I find trying to load photos of the finished boat onto this site is probably more difficult than putting up a virus into an international deference system! I’ve spent ages using reduction software, reduced and reduced and it still won’t go. File too big! Really 350mb I think last attempt.