albatross continental painting hull

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

LOTUS30
CMBA Member: 0

albatross continental painting hull

Post by LOTUS30 »

I have got the hull in my shed to paint after some thought i think all the inside will be painted while the boat is upside down. I have been to my local paint shop and he will lend me a filtered air fed mask, as i think it will be a little heavy with fumes. I have painted cars for years but these boats with all the rivets and tight corners are very time consuming my hat goes off to the people that have done all this before it is a labour of love, and bad language lol.I am using hempel products to re finnish. As a matter of interest my engine bay has been painted from new as daren marion's boat is also painted in the engine bay and very original with only 3 owners from new. I am still having problems finding a supplier for the material to make seats. andy b
Attachments
hull in paint shop 3.jpg

LOTUS30

Re: albatross continental painting hull

Post by LOTUS30 »

Got it in primer this christmas break cripes what a job i was painting for 7 hours. first coat etch primer then epoxy two pack primer. i still have the deck to do but after this it will be a walk in the park . I have to still paint the inside blue not looking forward to that. what you might call a hostile environment your head up in the hull painting.
Attachments
primed hull 3.JPG
primed hull 1.JPG
primed hull.JPG

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

She's looking great,keep up the good work it will all be worth it when your on the water :wot:

LOTUS30

Post by LOTUS30 »

Well sean i don't feel so knackered now today looking at all the work you have done i started in july should be on the water this spring got to build the climax engine this winter. she looks great thanks for the links i enjoyed looking at what you have achieved . andy b

delta ray
CMBA Member: 931

Post by delta ray »

Looking good,...
What temperature did you manage to paint her in and time gaps between coat and etch primer!...
Is the two pack primer hempel too!..

:wot:

LOTUS30

Post by LOTUS30 »

Delta.
I got the temp up to 20c using the mild spell we are having using a portable callor gas blower and as for every litre of gas you get a litre of water, i have two old dehumidifiers running at the same time i also have 4 old security lights 500watt giving of nice light and heat, placed on the floor warming the aluminium all night before i started with the de humidifiers running all night before also, so nice and dry plus warm when i started. Thats the thing with a wooden building.
The 2pack etch was just a dust coat when i was ready to apply it i mixed the first 2 ltr of hemple epoxy and left it stand. blew over the whole boat inside and out with etch by the time i was done it was dry inside where i started. then it was a continual process with the epoxy. inside first always mixing the next batch and letting it start to cure, whilst applying what was in the gun. i used a pressure pot type gun (pot is remote to the gun and has air pressure to push the paint through flexible lines) as you can get it in the corners without the paint pot fixed on top or under the gun depending on what type you have. Hemple will cure down to 0 deg c it just takes longer to cure. I will then fill dents using hemple epoxy filler spot prime with 2pack primer. When i am happy then a light coat of 2 pack primer all over and colour. On the inside i will light flat the epoxy primer and colour on top that will be finished first. ANDY B

LOTUS30

Post by LOTUS30 »

Having a rest from painting due to cold weather. I have been rebuilding the climax motor in the warm.
Attachments
climax.jpg

LOTUS30

Post by LOTUS30 »

Now the weather has improved I have painted the inside of 1171 not an enjoyable job .and also put a high build primer on the outside of the hull. While the bad weather was here I bought in. some off the shelf mud guards and welded in some steel on the arch to make albatross look alike as i have 10" wheels on my trailer. I have also just finished restoring the trailer, only have the wood bunks left to paint.
Attachments
mudguard 1.jpg
inside hull.jpg

LOTUS30

Post by LOTUS30 »

A bit of sun at last hull in white top coat.
Attachments
hull in white.jpg

Mavic82

Post by Mavic82 »

Looks great. Look forward to seeing it sat on the trailer

Guy