Albatross Continental Mk1 Trailer Restoration questions

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Diomedea

Albatross Continental Mk1 Trailer Restoration questions

Post by Diomedea »

I'm restoring a Mk 1 Continental and have started to work on the trailer.
Long story here as I know that this has been paired with the boat at some time in recent years as the boat was sold on a few times and not with this trailer.
Worse is that it has been heavily modified, presumably to carry a different and heavier boat. I've removed all those extra pieces to get back to the original as far as I can.
The worst consequence of that additional weight is that the longitudinal sections have suffered, one being slightly bent and the other with a slight kink. These two pieces are, however, original to a trailer for a Continental.
So the big questions:
How far do you/can you go in restoration?
I can use these parts and build up as close to the original design as I can with a new cross member and suspension units. The issue here is that the "kink" may cause a severe bend/failure which could be very bad news if under way on a road.
These sections could be strengthened by welding new sections along side them, probably essential to some extent or another.
I can build a T frame which can take the load with these "original" pieces providing bracing but not actually carrying the weight of the boat.
I could use the "original" pieces as templates to fabricate a replica.
I can hang them in the garage as mementos and buy something which will do the job but not be "real"
Take the lot to the dump and buy something....
I'd like to get back to as close to original as possible but I'm not too precious about this
I'm sure that other members have faced similar dilemmas so there must be a "best practice" solution.
Any help/guidance/advice very welcome - perhaps somebody has a viable trailer and no boat....
Many thanks

LOTUS30
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Albatross Continental Mk1 Trailer Restoration questions

Post by LOTUS30 »

I Have just rebuilt my mk 1 continental trailer my direct email andrew.bradshaw432@btinternet.com if i can be of any help. andy