NOT a Percy Blandford restoration but similar

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Re: NOT a Percy Blandford restoration but similar

Post by Sicobra »

I could say it was my brilliant idea but to be honest the idea came from Neil Greenfield as he had done it on his Venturer, it is very effective, I went for cream rather than white as I wanted it to darken down a bit after the varnish. I did think about getting out the router but was scared of messing up the decks!!!!!! My wood working skills aren't that good yet. I can't wait to varnish but working away is putting that on hold :( :( :( :(

I got the stripe from these guys, very good service and cheap at £1.20 per 10m roll, I will use 3 rolls leaving some spare for mistakes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mm-x-10m-rol ... 4173950f88

neilgreenfield
CMBA Member: 0

Post by neilgreenfield »

top job... pandora's are probably a bit wide apart... but most people think ive router and filled the groove..:-).. lol.
to much varnish will turn the stripe orange...

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Bit of a bonus today, expecting not to get any varnish of for the next ten days and my work this morning kept me at home with time to kill, well it would have been rude not too!!!!!! :chuffed: :chuffed: :chuffed: :chuffed:

First coat on and should be able too get another on tomorrow.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Woodwych »

Looks lovely and brings back fond memories of last weekend when I was doing the same.Very satisfying in the end.
Don't know how many coats you are planning but the West system advice is that 3 varnish on top of 3 epoxy equals 12 of just varnish.
I ended up doing 4 varnish over 3 epoxy.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/varnish-over-epoxy/

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

I was planing on 4 coats and I have to say going over the epoxy has been a revelation, I am already getting a great depth of shine from one coat. I will do 2, allow to harden for 10 days, flat back with wet and dry and apply 2 more before flatting again and then polishing.

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Ok so it has been a month since my last up date and things have slowly moved along in between working away for a few weeks and the normal day to day stuff.
First off I wasn't totally happy with the finish of the first 4 coats of varnish, in the much warmer weather it was going off a lot quicker and as the coats went on it wasn't levelling off as I had hoped so out with more sand paper, flat back, 2 more coats and finally an lot of compounding and polishing got me to a finish I am happy with, not Riva but not bad, starting to fit the chrome bits it shows up the depth nicely.
image.jpg
image.jpg
After giving the steering wheel a bit of added blue paint make over to match the seating I then added the steering and wheel using all the original cables and pulley system. I also installed my NOS Smiths speedo with my home made custom stainless surround. The speedo uses two supply tubes, one for pressure, one static and these have been tucked up and routed from the pitot sender at the stern to the front parallel to the steering lines.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok, so that's it for today but fingers crossed I will be really able to crack on over the next few days and just maybe she will back on the water by next weekend. The new cushions are in the process of being made and I am excited about seething them, I need to give the inside a really good vacumn and clean and then screw down the seat benches, run the contriol lines and drop on my 9.9hp 4 stroke to get her wet. Oh and a small matter of silly high priced Broads Authority toll!!!!!
Hope you are enjoying my journey, cheers, S

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Very nice indeed! :wot:
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Sorry for the delayed updates, but we have been enjoying her!!! All but finished and running lovely on the Broads I am very pleased with the finish and she has been getting some amazing comments. I am running with the modern 4 stroke for the moment and will restore one of my Fastwins over the winter. Hope you all approve, Simon
image.jpg
image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Very nice, I particularly like the little personal touches like the bow plate and speedo surround, not excessive, just enough to make it personal and unique. Nice upholstery too. Top job not surprised you have been too busy enjoying it. :nice:

I run a Honda 5hp when on the river, so frugal on fuel and reliable i can overlook the fact that it is neither period or classic. :)

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Very nice indeed. Glad you've been enjoying it too!
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...