Restoration of a Broom Javelin Speed Boat

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Dan
CMBA Member: 0

Restoration of a Broom Javelin Speed Boat

Post by Dan »

I am new to the forum, but the reason I joined is because a few members have owned a Broom Javelin in the past, and that can be helpful.

This project was bought from Norfolk earlier this month (May 2014). She has been dry stored for approx 20 years, and was found at an estate family home in Norfolk Broads - Horsham Hall if I remember correctly. The hull and framework are all solid and in very good original condition. The upper decks are all in good condition, but there is a few places that will need attention - nothing that cannot be done! The screen and frame are not with the boat, and it needs new interior seat covers - I think I will go with Tan and Cream piping - early days yet, so that can change! Needs an outboard, but more on that soon.

Her name is 'Javelin' - Yes the same as the model name... Im not too sure this will remain, as her hull shape reminds me of a stunning 26ft boat I restored, so I am thinking of naming her after that yacht. If anyone knows this Javelin, then please share the history!

So the story begins...

Day 1 - Here she is on her way home:
DSCN6365.JPG
And at the workshop:
DSCN6367.JPG
Day 2 - Removed the varnish from the hull.

Day 3 - She is turned over (thanks to the help of some lads in the spray shop next door). I started by removing any loose paint and filler from the screws. I cleaned them all out and inspected all the screw heads, they all looked good, and all still had the slotted head intact - Would I fancy removing them without breaking the heads....not really! I may add some new stainless stell screws inline with the old ones just for the sake of it - she is an old girl, despite how solid she is. I keep reminding myself, the glue is old as well! The rest of the bottom of the hull is really good and just wants fairing. I did remove paint along the keel so I could inspect the bare wood joins - all tight and sound, so I treated it with some West epoxy.
DSCN6421.JPG

Dan

Re: Restoration of a Broom Javelin Speed Boat

Post by Dan »

Day 4:

I done a deal last week with a good friend for a complete speedboat he had sitting in his yard, with trailer and a 55HP engine - So I went and collected it this morning. The engine was removed, along with controls. The engine needs wiring and a starter motor.
DSCN6427.JPG
It has good compression and I have been assured it runs. I have sorted out most of the wiring, and intend on starting with a recoil by hand. If it runs as well as I am told, then I will spend some money on a new engine loom and starter motor. For now, I want to spend as little as I can just until i see it running. I am quite sure it will run well as my mate is a decent guy. Its not a period engine, its 1980. And its overpowered for the boat, so I may need to restrict the throttle - mechanically, not mentally...that will not happen! It was such a good deal, that i could not say no! Here is a picture of some of the broken wiring before:
DSCN6440.JPG
Eitherway, I can always sell the Evinrude 55HP and get a 40HP with the money. I know that if I am to be honest, I am very tempted to stick the 55HP on her and see what I think... I may think bad idea if the transom comes off, or the keel splits! But she does seem a solid boat, and there was a 50HP on the back of one of these in the past!

Also done some sanding on the hull and finer filling - Brought it outside while the sun was out!
DSCN6451.JPG

Day 5:

Half day as its a Saturday...And not such a nice day weather wise, hence she is back inside the workshop! Today was more filling before a coat of primer - just so I can see the last few imperfections and fair them up. I also removed all the paint around the water line, again for inspection of the wood (totally solid and sound as i expected!), and because I intend on putting a red or blue or maybe red and blue water line around her.
DSCN6453.JPG
More to come this week...

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

Welcome to the forum! The boat looks good and sounds like it might just have been saved by being dry stored, progress is looking good too :thumbsup:
Hope to see you on the water :wot:
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

Dan

Post by Dan »

water_buoy wrote:Welcome to the forum! The boat looks good and sounds like it might just have been saved by being dry stored, progress is looking good too :thumbsup:
Hope to see you on the water :wot:
Thanks. I popped down the workshop this afternoon with my Son and done a bit more or the finer filling on the bottom of the hull. My 2 year old boy thinks its great!

I like the classic runabout in your avatar picture, what boat is that?

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

Dan wrote:I like the classic runabout in your avatar picture, what boat is that?
It's a self build from a 50's design, bit more info on this thread if you like: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4747&p=16528&hilit ... ild#p16528
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

Dan

Post by Dan »

I just watched the video, very nice boat!

Dan

Post by Dan »

Day 6

After putting on a coat of primer on day 5, I let it dry for 24 hours at room temperature, and then sanded it all down again:
DSCN6509.JPG
Followed by another coat of primer, filling any minor imperfections (easier to see once a coat of primer is on). I then put another 2 coats of primer on to get a decent coverage and avoid any peaks in the paint - I then let these 3 coats dry overnight.

Day 7

Sanded the primer down, and put another 2 coats on - looks much better now:
DSCN6516.JPG
Also removed the covers from the seats today - if I see another staple anytime soon! :grrr: .......It didnt take as long as I thought, approx 2.5 hours all in all.
DSCN6527.JPG
DSCN6528.JPG
Attachments
DSCN6530.JPG
DSCN6535.JPG

Dan

Post by Dan »

Day 8

Removed more varnish from the transom and starboard side of the boat. I thought it was all off last week, but sure enough a few patches were still on the boat. Used varnish remover gel rather than heat to get the varnish off.
DSCN6547.JPG
My eldest Son was here to help out today, now he is getting older he is much more helpful! The port side was sanded down, finished with a 120 grit - removing as little of the surface wood as possible. The fresh wood has a lovely grain, it will look great when it is varnished.
DSCN6549.JPG
DSCN6550.JPG

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Looking very nice :thumbsup: I love the look and feel of the wood when it's sanded smooth like that, keep up the good work.

moonman

Post by moonman »

I'm still looking for a screen for a friend's Broom Javelin if anyone has one ? Even a template from an original boat screen would be great! . Happy to pay for postage etc, there seems to be a small market for these Broom Screens perhaps it's something we should consider as a club as lots of other boats have these wraparound screens . Just a thought !!