Tama- Craft restoration

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Tama- Craft restoration

Post by Woodwych »

Thanks to a tip from this site my latest project has arrived. Google has failed me so any information on Tama-Craft or if the shape is similar to other better known designs please let me know. Built in Oldham (which sounds unlikely!) Magdala spent the 70's in the Lake District before being bought by a family in Stoke on Trent. They used her for family holidays and day trips off Angelesey until the early 90's. For the last 20 years she's been stored in hedge and everything has gone pretty green. Most of the structural wood is rotten but the Gelcoat is salvageable and comes up a nice original cream colour with lots of effort. Engine is a Mercury 200 20Hp 1974, visually in good condition but seized up at the moment. I'm trying the WD40 trick thanks to another CMBA member and we shall see. The wiring is all OK for the electric start and much to my surprise the starter motor whizzed into life at the first turn of the key.
First job is a good clean.
IMG_1051.jpg
IMG_1046.jpg
IMG_1047.jpg
IMG_1048.jpg
Tama.jpg

Woodwych

Re: Tama- Craft restoration

Post by Woodwych »

Happy times removing everything without too many traumas.
IMG_1079.jpg
Cut away at the first stringer to reveal how much they've gone. Transom will be similar.
IMG_1088.jpg

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

According to a US Mercury outboard forum the best penetrating 'oil' for freeing of stuff is a 50:50 mix of trans fluid (std old mineral stuff) & acetone, comes out on top of all the proprietary brands every time.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Nice one Woodwych :thumbsup: , what a lovely shaped hull (A bit like a Dorsett at the stern) ..... what did find best to remove all of the"green" gunge - my winter project is due to arrive next Tuesday, "With" (get it?) plenty of green to wash off, and a hull to polish...
my with 1.JPG
The penetrating oil idea sounds like a great marketing opportunity for Alacrity, and could use up some old ATF......... (put me down for a gallon :woo: )

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

You beat me!
But I am under strict orders to make this one last 2 years...
A lot of hidden work and new skills acquired replacing stringers that had turned into mush and then polishing/filling and waxing the exterior using these great instructions http://www.fiberglassics.com/restoratio ... g-gel-coat

Its only my 2nd boat but this is already my favourite time when all the messy and laborious work is done and its all about re-attaching things.
Flattering lighting..
Flattering lighting..
IMG_1381.jpg
And a little history thanks to the archivists at Oldham Library.
"The firm is listed in a 1972 telephone directory as ‘Tama Craft Boat Trailer Manufacturers, Magdala Street, Oldham.

The company was unlisted in an earlier directory of 1968, still listed in 1982 but gone by the next directory we hold in 1986.

Magdala Street is in the Coldhurst area of Oldham, between Rochdale Road and Godson Street. There was a cotton mill on the site in the 1950’s, which may have been utilised as industrial units at one time. The area is now covered by modern flats."

I now know why she is called 'Magdala'
Have also since seen 2 other identical Tama Craft boats go through ebay both in the north west.

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

All done!
Very satisfying but all over too quick. Now in the water and proving perfect for day trips. The electric outboard again spot on for canal use
IMG_1522.jpg
IMG_1523.jpg

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

She looks great, "Well Done" :thumbsup: It's a nice feeling to bring these old boats back from the grave! -

(I'm still on cushions and covers for the Vitsi)

p.s. What happened to "making it last two years"?

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

Beautifully done. :notworthy:
solitaire wrote:p.s. What happened to "making it last two years"?
He does it in half the time,I'm into year four of my "two year" project. :D :D
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

I'd appreciate some advice on an appropriate outboard for my Tama Craft to get her planiing. She's 15ft and did have a 20Hp engine at some time - but its not clear whether it was used for speed or pottering around. She's not very heavy and there is no interior to speak of.
I was wondering about 25-30 but would value others' opinions.