Shakespeare Starfire 1968 Mercruiser 120

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

PopeyeShellard
CMBA Member: 1029

Shakespeare Starfire 1968 Mercruiser 120

Post by PopeyeShellard »

Well after a lovely day at the Cardiff meet showing off my fully restored 17ft Shakey, I thought i'd show you all my next Shakey project. Found in a barn on the Rhigos mountain and after rescuing it, I fear its gonna cost me a small fortune but these boats are just so rare that I feel its worth it.
Still in the barn where I found it
Still in the barn where I found it
Flying Shakey
Flying Shakey
Ready to roll
Ready to roll
Back at the yard
Back at the yard
Beautiful interior
Beautiful interior
Engine still in place
Engine still in place
So as you can see, I have my work cut out, I have actually started work on it now so more pictures will follow but any advise is more than welcome.
Last edited by PopeyeShellard on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PopeyeShellard

Re: Shakespeare Starfire 1968 Mercruiser 120

Post by PopeyeShellard »

Here are a few more photo's of the started project.
Engine coming out
Engine coming out
all fittings removed
all fittings removed
just the floor left
just the floor left
Discovered nasty crack in the block
Discovered nasty crack in the block
After playing with the engine a little, I actually managed to fire the old girl up for about 20 seconds, then I discovered the almighty crack in the block just under the manifold. I have actually had the crack welded now but this is about as far as i've got. Gonna have the bores honed, new rings and shells and then I'll start putting it back together, and this is before I even start on the sterndrive or the hull :(

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a good basis for a restoration as it all appears to be there so you at least have patterns. I cant see an engine lid though, do you have that as the chances of finding one now are probably nil.
As I said to you at Cardiff my Waverider Mustang was supposed to be a quick project which ended up taking 3 years so don't underestimate the time it could take but enjoy the journey!

Have you decided on a name for it yet?!!!!!!

Best of luck :thumbsup:

Dave

PopeyeShellard

Post by PopeyeShellard »

Hiya Dave, yes don't worry, I've got the engine cover for it, it's just not in the photo's. As for underestimating it well, the last one took me six years! The work only took about a year but the rest of the time was taken up with trying to find the cash to do it, so this one could take a while!
A name, hmmmm, well I was thinking something along the lines of the last one, "Slap Ed" plus it kinda goes along with my hair style nowadays. :giggle: Not so sure the mrs is gonna let me do it though so we'll have to see.

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

I don't know if you "Shakey" enthusiasts ever look on Marktplaats - the dutch boat auction site - but always plenty of good boats for sale - how about this one - 120kph, also a rare Inboard Caribbean w/w wing

http://link.marktplaats.nl/m737121867

http://link.marktplaats.nl/m661510296

PopeyeShellard

Post by PopeyeShellard »

How Much!!!!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!! Wow, might put mine up for sale! :P