Seagull 102 restoration

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Seagull 102 restoration

Post by sean-nós »

For those of you that are not on FB :D here is my 1955-56 102

This one must be good it say's so on it :)

Not much left of her now :)

All striped down now not much to them :)

sean-nós

Re: Seagull 102 restoration

Post by sean-nós »

Getting down to brass tacks :) I started to clean up the fuel tank hoping to do a nice polished brass finish to it but as it turned out someone had patched it up before :( so I'll just clean it up fill the dints and paint it black.

The chrome on the exhaust was all pitted so I cleaned that back to the brass the gear tube is steel so I'll just take the chrome "what's left of it" off and paint it.

On testing the coil it turned out to be dead :( It should be reading between 3-5K Don't mind the setting on the Meter that was just for the photo :D

So I tested one off a donor engine and it looked good.

Grand now I just have to swap them over :eek::eek::eek::eek: what a nightmare these are not easy to get off they are held on with to small screws and two studs that are sized in, I used the ratchet on the screwgun to work them loose and some gentle hammering :D I put it back on the head of the donor engine and used the screwgun on the flywheel nut to turn the engine over for a few minutes to charge the condenser once it was charged I got a good spark.

Last edited by sean-nós on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

Gave the carb a check over and a bit of a spit and polish :)

To remove the flywheel I first undid the nut and sprayed with WD40 then after a few hours replaced the nut and take out the spark plug then turn the engine over so that the piston is at it's furthest point from the plug then get someone to hold the engine up by the flywheel and hit the nut with a good heavy hammer do not use a pullers as they will just warp the aluminium flywheel.
I found an easy way to clean up the flywheel it just bolts onto my bench grinder then working down with fine sandpaper from 400 to 1500 it comes up nice.

I know these gear boxes allow water in unlike other outboards but when they are run in salt water and then left for 20 odd years it can leave a bit of a mess :eek: but at least I know why it's not turning :D

That's a bit better.

Dents filled primed and painted, I'll give it a coat of lacquer when I get a decal for it.

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

The tank straps were a bit rusted up and the chrome almost gone so back to the patio heater for another bit of stainless steal :) I opened up the band to fit over the heater drilled out the holes and bolted it on to hold it in place while I cut them out.

After a little polish two shinny new straps. :)

I also cut up an old bike inner tube to line the inside of the straps so they won't scratch the tank.

Got the decals from http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/i_ ... dels.htmon today and built up a few coats of lacquer.

The stud for the tiller arm is also broken and boy was it hard to remove very fine whitworth threads.

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

Just about finished now except for the thrust block and a bit of adjusting here and there.

And here is a little video of her first start up, a bit smokey at first but not too bad once she got going :D

I also made a little stand to sit her on :drink:

Clamped some mahogany to the plywood and cut some ash strips for the inserts.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Fantastic job!
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Post by Sicobra »

Beautiful, hope it's going next to the fire place in your lounge????? :perfect: :perfect: :perfect:

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

Sicobra wrote:Beautiful, hope it's going next to the fire place in your lounge????? :perfect: :perfect: :perfect:
She who must be obeyed mightn't be overly impressed :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Beautful job :thumbsup:
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

I'm working on it :D I'm slowly killing one of the plants that will give me a nice corner spot :giggle:

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Post by Sicobra »

I have some super industrial strength weed killer that would get rid of that plant quicker, send me details and your welcome too some. :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: