Can you ID this vintage wooden speedboat?

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Can you ID this vintage wooden speedboat?

Post by Howstar »

I have good book somewhere on the bell company that built the mirror dinghy boat they also built other motor boats I try and dig it out

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/t ... aham-bell/

Recomend this book it has plans for bell motor boat

ColinF

Post by ColinF »

Cheers,thanks for that i'll check it out. When we were researching the Dowty / Hamilton connection i contacted the Moderator/owner of the oldspeedboat web site because he's restored a couple of Dowty's and owns another ( he's probably the foremost expert on these in the UK).The similarities were so close that he came and had a look at it and went over some of the detail for us.We've stayed in contact and he was helping through his contacts with the research.Once we'd identified it as a Bell Sportsman i contacted him to let him know.It turns out his family had connections with the Bell Woodworking company , he went there when he was young and learned to sail on their boats but he couldn't remember any motorboats.Small world or what! He still has family in Leicester who might have more info.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I had a few pics in my own archive from ebay sales that were a near match, which is how we set you in the right direction... I'd be interested in adding decent full resolution scans to the CMBA archive if you still have the brochures? There is a 2 cockpit runabout in the brochure that looks like one I owned and could never find out it's provenance either.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

ColinF

Post by ColinF »

I,ve got the brochure still.You'd have to let me know the best way of sending the images,what resolution it would need to be etc,the pictures are quite small.Do you have any pictures of the one you had?