Chertsey 2016

Detailed contact information and arrangements for these events will be available to CMBA Members only in the CMBA Clubhouse section.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Chertsey 2016

Post by Alacrity »

Great day at JB Waterski yesterday for a CMBA meet thanks purely to David Knight. Good fun with friends, although we were sadly very down on numbers, hopefully next year will be better or the event may not happen in the future.

The icing on the cake was the Stapely ran like a gold watch, recording a max speed of 57.7mph on gps. Not bad for freshwater & a fairly short lake. Very pleased. :wot: :wot:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Re: Chertsey 2016

Post by solitaire »

Well done Geoff - I sounds like all the hard work you have put in with the Merc has paid off - 60+ is going to be easy in salt and with a bit of a "popple" under the hull. (It's a Ray Bulman word)

We took our offshore boats to records week many times - high 60's touching 70 racing offshore 3 up and fully fuelled. but rarely managed to top 66 (light) in the glue at Windermere

The records week time keepers used to have a saying - "The bulls**t stops at Windermere"

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Thank Solitaire, I was chuffed, didn't think it made that much difference! Hopefully I can make the next 'Itchy Scratcin' and wring its neck up & down Soton water - if the drivers bottle holds up! :oops:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Your Merc was in howling good form. We'll have to do a date in late May or June..Was a poor show last year. And if nothing happens to it the So'ton will be open for play for the RSrnYC weekend in Sept.

Was surprised at the turnout on Friday though - is a very good venue for testing, and social too (for those not taking engines apart in the carpark).
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Thanks Rapier, I was impressed with your Chrysler 55 when it finally lit up properly, looked & sounded really good. Is it sorted now?

VivaSportiva
CMBA Member: 550

Post by VivaSportiva »

Yes our thanks also to David for organising the day .I thought our Shaky went well at nearly 40 but when you passed me Geoff it felt as if I was standing still your boat certainly was on song.
Our legacy of the day was the steering more or less seizing up on the outboard, I am thinking the top bearing is on the way out probably due to all the salt water usage at Falmouth and in Poole harbour.
But that is the joy of owning an old outboard. One final word of thanks to all those that so kindly helped with the launch and recovery, it is appreciated.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Alacrity wrote:Thanks Rapier, I was impressed with your Chrysler 55 when it finally lit up properly, looked & sounded really good. Is it sorted now?
Almost..was very impressed, then ran out of fuel...Some more bedtime reading to do on idle and shift setup and have been promised a test prop; so I can finally wind it up on the slipway with the Merc-O-Tronic attached and look for the 5000-5500 as recommended operating rpm for the 55.

p.s Yes, thanks to David for the day.

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

VivaSportiva wrote:One final word of thanks to all those that so kindly helped with the launch and recovery, it is appreciated.
Agreed, thanks to Phil, Nick & the others who launched & recovered us all.

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Rapier wrote:wind it up on the slipway with the Merc-O-Tronic attached and look for the 5000-5500 as recommended operating rpm
I think you will find it will rev higher on open water than on the slip with her tethered on the slip but by how much I don't know, i.e. if you set the pitch for max rpm on the slip you will over-rev on open water.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Makes sense, assume to the forward flow, but I'd always thought test props were designed to mimic this by providing the 'near enough' operating load? These are supposed to produce a powerheard hp of 55 at 5250 rpm, so I'll probably be able to get close. The unknowns are obviously the very low weight of a Pearly Miss and the standard 55hp pitch of 12 1/2. Strangely enough the manual shows my other 45hp is that hp at 5000 rpm and it takes a 13 1/2 pitch, so I might be able to go up to that prop. Not my comfort zone these, but it appears to work and has not worked out an expensive option.