Top of the Thames trip

Please list all non CMBA events here. These are not official CMBA Events and the CMBA accepts no liability for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided herein.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Re: Top of the Thames trip

Post by water_buoy »

Ok we'll go for the 29th... Rapier can definitely do that and hopefully Classic fever can still make it too?!
I think if we aim to meet at the trout at about 10am (address/postcode is available at the link above) then we should make it to the swan for lunchtime or press on a bit further if we fancy.

To get to the slipway come into the pub via the car park over the bridge (it's a little tight so you'll need to swing wide in the road) carry on through the car park and across the field and the slipway is through the gate across the other side of the field.
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

Classic fever
CMBA Member: 907

Post by Classic fever »

Hi, we are on for next Sunday. I will pm you my mobile in case there any problems. Can we get the Thames license on the day, or is it best to apply online beforehand - Thanks

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

:thumbsup: yes you can pay for a license on the day at the lock. There is one right next to where we launch which takes card or cash payment, £11 for the day.

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Hi _ I live local to this part of the Thames - the attached link - may prove interesting to some - http://thames.me.uk/s02260.htm -Seems we are launching at the Trout Inn :drink: (Lechlade) which is just downstream of St Johns lock - There are 4 locks to go thrugh - if we go to the Trout :drink: (Tadpole bridge) - very confusing as there many "Trout" pubs on the river
Locks on route are - Buscott Lock, Grafton Lock, Radcott Lock and Rushy Lock, Distance - about 12-13 miles, Its a very pretty part of the river - quite a few pubs on the way :drink: , slow boating ( E/Agency have patrols :wot: ) but worse still are the fishermen who insist on having a pole like thing that almost reaches the other bank, and they mumble and grumble every time a boat passes and they have to retract them.............great fun :woo:
Not sure if we need to produce our insurance to get the Licence (Dan ??) -

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

Yes that's right, I was thinking we'd aim for the swan hotel pub which is just before the trout at tadpole (your right it is confusing) but if the weather is nice and time good there's no reason why we can't push on a bit to tadpole, the food is very nice there!
No paperwork needed for the licence at the lock, you just need to know your boats details length, beam, make etc... Along with name and address so it's straight forward.
I'm looking forward to it, let's just hope the forecast improves between now and then but when are they ever right 4 days in advance :hmmm:

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Dan - many thanks for arranging the little upper thames trip - a lovely peaceful part of the river - great pubs, and an insight to possible future impromptu gatherings, Thanks also to Nick for letting me ballast the Sea-King - all in all a very pleasant days boating

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Looks a lovely day from the photo's on FB, very envious. :)
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

water_buoy

Post by water_buoy »

I'm glad the trip was well received, it has good potential I think. The landlord was very accommodating and only charged us for one slip for all three boats which was a bargain!
There was also talk from the lock keeper that as a club we ought to be able to get a discount on our day licence for the Thames which would be worth looking into as well, I may do some research for the future...
Here's to another one :drink:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Agree, look forward to the next one. :perfect:
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Classic fever
CMBA Member: 907

Post by Classic fever »

I have been on eBay this evening;
Bank anchor screws - check
Extremely large buoys - check
A book on how to dock in an orderly fashion... still looking :lol: