Newbie - enquiring about wooden vs fiberglass boats

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

alexARC
CMBA Member: 0

Newbie - enquiring about wooden vs fiberglass boats

Post by alexARC »

Hi All,

I've read your forum for a little while now and decide to join you.
I'm french and looking for a nice little boat. Being a great fan of Riva, I'd like a wooden speed boat. She must be small as I don't have too much space. Boat will be in a river half of the year as I am currently buying a house with a bank and boathouse (fantastic).

I love the broom so I am thinking of a Viscount deluxe or a Javelin. Do you think it will need a lot of work to keep it in the water half of the year?
Would a painted hull be easier to maintain?
Would you advise me to go for a fiberglass hull (like a gemini)??

Also, I prefer vintage engine (like the merc), are they reliable to start and run for just 5 min (time to cross the river and take a coffee on the other side :drink: )?

I know, these are probably unusual questions :)
Thanks a lot and talk to you soon!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Newbie - enquiring about wooden vs fiberglass boats

Post by Rapier »

In your position I'd probably go with a fiberglass boat. Any wood boat will need pre or post season maintenance if it's going to be in the water so long and the wood Brooms were mostly designed to be trailered and stored when not in use. Whilst they typically remain water tight, it'll need a good cover to prevent rain ingress and standing water in the bilges / under the floorboards. Motor-wise, is your choice; some of the classic motors are easy to live with and maintain if you have skills, but most dealers will not look at the old motors these days.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

alexARC
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Newbie - enquiring about wooden vs fiberglass boats

Post by alexARC »

Thanks for the advice.
It seems indeed more reasonnable to go for a fiberglass hull..
The good thing is that the boat will remain protected from the rain under the shed (the garden is dug to let the river go in).
It would be possible to make something to lift the boat when not in use. That would be perfect.

The fiberglass Broom are also lovely boats.