Availability of White mercs in the uk

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Availability of White mercs in the uk

Post by sean-nós »

Not sure if you would be interested in this option but I used a blueband and just added the older cowling on it.

The cowlings are handy enough to pickup on eBay :D

I did manage to get a white 350 over here it's on the long finger for restoration :juggle: but I haven't seen another one since.

Dansteele
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Dansteele »

Ah that would be another plan, I might save that for making the 2 pot mercs look better, but still push forward with the acquiring the 1960 4 pot 300's.

I'm off to view the merc 500/300 on Sunday.

Apart from the serial number, is there any other easy to identify features to make sure it's a '60 300 with later cowling and facia applied.

If I remember correctly, my 500 has the bore/stroke stamped on the block ? So I'll be looking for something along the lines of the numbers

40, bore 2.44 inches and the stroke is 2.13 inches which I believe is different to the 400/500 variants.

Oh and the carbs should be KB2a's?

Difficult to ascertain at this point just how much of a Frankenstein engine it is so any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dan

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Generally both the 300 & 350 have an ali cowl handle (not chrome) and the upper cowl and lower pan will have no holes for the chrome bands (that some pre-60 models and the 400 had), 400 also had shocks, 300 badge below lower pan is 'Thunderbolt', 400 is 'Super Thunderbolt'. The Mk35, 300 and 350s were a white block, Mk55s, MK58 and 400s will be silver. My 400 has KA-9ATs. Can't remember what the 300 had. 300 on the left, 400 on the right..
Attachments
Picture 349 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Just to add ..looks like it's serial plate is intact.

Dansteele

Post by Dansteele »

Ah, excellent side by side comparison! Perfect.

Yes I saw the plate looks in tact, just wanted to make sure/give myself confidence that it's cosmetic work that's been undertaken as opposed to other another block somehow finding its way into the mix.

Dan

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Is unlikely, but it could be a 35A (white block) as no one would discard the shiny wrap from that, but worthwhile bearing in mind in case one found it's way here...ditto 55A and 58A (silver block), again both unlikely due to lack of chrome.

Dansteele

Post by Dansteele »

I've got the serial number back from the chap as 1884465 (which unless I'm reading the serial number guides wrong is probably meant to read 1334465) as it also has merc 300 on the plate and thunderbolt cast into it.

I'll report back on Sunday when I've hopefully got it in the back of the pickup. I should then be picking up the other 300 from Chris's hydroplane.

Has been in the family since new apparently, intrigued to know which family member decided to try and make their engine look bigger than it is!

Regards

Dan

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Great news - he's already updated the listing as well - it was very common to repaint them, not fashionable in the black merc era - have lost count how many I see under that guise including a certain 400. It would have been HARD work with a 44 cube on it at WOT tho' & with that direct steering! 300 is 39.6 cu...Quite fancied the boat, but must resist.

Find some matching metal tanks (they appear on ebay from time to time here in NOS condition to the 80s) and re-decal them with old style decals + tank traps to prevent them from going airbourne as mine did once in Falmouth :hilarious:
Attachments
Picture 1942 (Large).jpg
1fde_1.jpg

Dansteele

Post by Dansteele »

That's the next plan

I've been looking for a 6 gal tank, currently have the original 3 gal (I assume) and I've been carrying a couple of 10L Jerry cans on board for refuelling

We're there many/any differences between the quicksilver and Mercury branded tanks/later tanks? At a glance, even some of the Yamaha tanks seem identical.

Dan

Dansteele

Post by Dansteele »

Afternoon Chaps,

Thanks for all your help with the search, I must admit, I did think finding a pair of white mercs was going to take quite a bit more time!

Picked up the black 300 this morning, and thanks for spotting it Rapier!
Pulls over well and the castings don't appear to have any damage or chips taken out. Skeg looks slightly bent but I'll address that at a later date.

Will find some time to pop down to see Chris and get the other half of the pair.

Unfortunately won't be able to start a strip down/rebuild until late January, but it won't stop me gathering the parts before. I'll start a thread once i start.

One step closer to having twins in the club!

Regards

Dan