Availability of White mercs in the uk

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Availability of White mercs in the uk

Post by Rapier »

Looks like a great project motor, apart from the paint, but the paint work has been decently applied (& isn't black hammerite..). Start hunting for a pair of stainless MK55 cowls too..the 300 has a two-tone white and black painted mild steel version.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Dansteele
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Dansteele »

That's the exact plan! The other engine already has the stainless cowl on, so only one to find, got a few in my eBay watch list although they are stateside.

Need to find one merc 300 shield... Or maybe a couple of 58A ones/something a bit prettier.

I'm in two minds whether to start the hunt for the stainless strip they also had around the lower casting, would be a shame to drill to attatch it though. If I'm going down that route might even go for the light blue decals instead of the red/black just to make them a little more convincing as earlier engines.

On a side note, and I'm starting to go off topic somewhat.

For the repaint,

Strip, and then spray with nasty zinc chromate green etch primer (have found a UK supplier)

And then I'm assuming cellulose VW cashmere white over the top, with no need for a clear coat? Being cellulose should be pretty resistant to fuel/oil drips etc?

Regards

Dan

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Sounds good.

I strip mine now with a multitool sander and keep as much as the original primer as possible..it's the good stuff. I buy in VHT yellow zinc in puffer cans, but if you've 2 to spray it's worthwhile using a gun with your source. The Chryslers were painted with VW grau Weiss 2K in cans, so 2 pack may be a more resilient finish. The one cowl was sprayed with a cellulose white and clear coated, but I found it a bit fraught to do. The Mercs were 2K RAL 1015, but are too yellow - the finish is 6 years old and the POL8 acid etch primer I used has bubbled in places...it may not be the product's fault, but it doesn't look staunch enough to me.

Have a look this post too, as Fergal had a take on the whites as well.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4730

Dansteele

Post by Dansteele »

Just as a teaser, and to let you know this project is still underway ;

Have ended up having to ship over the best part of a new engine for the black painted one due to saltwater damage and the anti ventilation plate is being welded back together (didnt notice the sneaky fibre glass job on it until the black plaint came off!) , its currently mostly in zinc chromate at the moment and I'm having the time of my life zinc/nickel plating every steel part... taking a bit longer than expected!

Really pleased with what can be achieved with the home plating kits

Will hopefully live another 60 years when completed though

Got my twin engine controls set up sorted too;

And yes thats a lot of engine for a small boat :wot:

Dan

Dansteele

Post by Dansteele »

I'm almost there with this project.

Port side is the 300 from Chris and starboard the 300 that was painted black. Has taken me a lot longer than anticipated to rebuild and paint (every single seal and nut and bolt has been cleaned, plated or replaced) . I'm going to have to save the cosmetic resto on Chris's 300 to next January. Waiting on a couple of bits in the mail, should be able to fire up the starboard 300 this week of all goes to plan.

Oh and decals are wrong (wrong font!)- I've got a correct set of them to fit to another pair of cowlings when I find the time!

Secondly, does anyone know where I can get control cables that will suit the twin lever quicksilver box? One of the sets is too short and the end is slightly damaged/bent.

The ends look like this...

Regards

Dan

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Was looking at the faceplates on your twins - they look chromed?

Dansteele

Post by Dansteele »

Hi Nick,

Not chromed, just a few hours on the buffing wheel working through the different compounds to get them up to a good level of shine. Then a bit of detail work with black enamel paint, followed by buffing again to get the infill looking just right.

What results is something that actually looks better (to me) than the stamped chromed merc 400 faceplates. Much crisper detail to the cast ones used on the 300.

Applied a coat of 2k clear afterwards to hopefully reduce the chance of them losing their sheen when out on the water.

Regards

Dan