Painting fir plywood

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Fastjeff
CMBA Member: 0

Painting fir plywood

Post by Fastjeff »

Hello!

Had to replace the deck and sides of my boat, using fir plywood. I'd like to seal it somehow to prevent that hideous grain eruption that seems to occur regardless of what type of paint is used.

I'm told that a layer of 4 oz cloth and fiberglass resin will keep the fir from doing this. Is there any other solution?

Thanks,

Fastjeff

PS: Hello Geoff! Haven't seen your postings for a while on Johns Old Merc forum,.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Painting fir plywood

Post by Rapier »

Jeff, we don't see much fir ply here. Always wondered about the grain, having seen plenty of floor / transom restorations your side..I've always used the grey aluminium primer prior to painting ply. Maybe one of our boat builders might show his head though..

Nick
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Fastjeff
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Fastjeff »

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Jeff

KeithM
CMBA Member: 1149

Post by KeithM »

Hi Jeff
I am a small scale boatbuilder and furniture maker. My advice would be to try either:

a) 3 coats of good quality primer first. (I use Hempel primer / undercoat above the waterline and Hempel underwater primer below). And sand back any roughness between coats.
or b) roller on a couple of coats of epoxy. This is easy enough but all instructions have to be followed (such as washing off the amine blush before sanding back). You could incorporate a layer of glass cloth to improve impact resistance. But I wouldn't as it does result in a lot more work to achieve a smooth paint finish. If you use epoxy then use 2 pack paints.

My preference would be for a)
Keith

KeithM
CMBA Member: 1149

Post by KeithM »

Hi Jeff
I am a small scale boatbuilder and furniture maker. My advice would be to try either:

a) 3 coats of good quality primer first. (I use Hempel primer / undercoat above the waterline and Hempel underwater primer below). And sand back any roughness between coats.
or b) roller on a couple of coats of epoxy. This is easy enough but all instructions have to be followed (such as washing off the amine blush before sanding back). You could incorporate a layer of glass cloth to improve impact resistance. But I wouldn't as it does result in a lot more work to achieve a smooth paint finish. If you use epoxy then use 2 pack paints.

My preference would be for a)
Keith