1975 Mercury 20 hp - fuel line query

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Bronteboxer
CMBA Member: 915

1975 Mercury 20 hp - fuel line query

Post by Bronteboxer »

I tried the fuel line connector I have today and it's leaking from the where it's plugged into the engine unit. I am using it at the moment on a rig - gravity fed from a bottle - to run up the motor in a tub.

I need to buy a new complete fuel feed line, connectors, piping, primer bulb & tank.

Is the line to engine femal connector a standard unit or do I need to specify a size to fit?

Whilst I would like a period tank and wouldn't mine restoring a good unit (does anybody have one to sell?!) I think practicality will determine the use of a modern unit. Can anybody please advise where the best place is to buy a decent quality whole set as above. I don't want to buy duff stuff on this and want to make sure I get this right.

Your advice and experience would most welcome. :perfect:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: 1975 Mercury 20 hp - fuel line query

Post by Alacrity »

Fuel line connector is the standard bayonet fitting that Mercury used for decades from the 50's. Get a quality fuel line - Quicksilver would be my recommendation & the same make bayonet fitting. You can't in theory buy just the O ring but I have managed to find them elsewhere in the past.

Not sure about replacement tanks - never used one myself but there are dozens out there. I probably have a decent original tin one that I could sell.PM me if interested.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Bronteboxer
CMBA Member: 915

Post by Bronteboxer »

I've just PM'd you, so hopefully it will come through to you. Never sure if I have done this correctly as I don't use it often......cheer and thanks for the help. G.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Got the PM, sent a reply. N
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...