Carburettor Float Problem?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Carburettor Float Problem?

Post by broompisces »

Hello!
I have been having trouble with my Mercruiser 120hp. It starts great from cold, then won't start from warm / hot.
I took the flame arrestor off and turned the engine over. To my surprise (and horror!), after about two turns of the engine, petrol poured out of the pipe circled in the image below like it was coming out of a hosepipe and onto the hot manifold (obviously the flame arrestor had been catching it). The reason the engine wouldn't start from warm / hot is because (I deduce) that the petrol is filling the carb and flooding it.
My diagnosis is that the float needs adjusted to cut off the fuel flow when necessary. It's an easy job to do and I'll tackle it in the coming days.
Is my diagnosis fair - or have I got the function of the red circled pipe in the picture wrong? I'm sure it is an overflow pipe for cases such as this one.
Help or confirmation of my diagnosis would be gratefully received!
Thanks,
Ian.
Attachments
IMG_1042 copy.JPG

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Carburettor Float Problem?

Post by se7en »

Yes, you are correct about the over flow pipe, open the carb up and have a look inside, may need a rebuild kit.

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

Check that the float is actually floating properly. I got a tiny leak in the copper float, allowing fuel inside, which then didn't cut off the supply.

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Post by broompisces »

All sorted! I got a carb "repair kit" from the USA which included all gaskets, new float, springs, choke device etc. I srtripped the carb and re-built it; all working great now. It was a float problem - I don't know whether or not it had a hole in it (none visible), but the fuel cuts off fine now and the engine is (currently!) running great.
Thanks all.