Albatross restoration - help needed.

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

maltalbatross

Albatross restoration - help needed.

Post by maltalbatross »

Hi all,

I am in the process of painstakingly restoring my 2 seater Albatross here in sunny Malta and need some help. These boats tend to suffer much more than their siblings back in the UK due to the salt water- no lakes here! Basically I bought the boat as a project and saved it from being thrown out as scrap. The rear part of the bottom needs replacing and I have already purchased an aluminium sheet to the same thickness and chemical composition as intended by albatross marine. I am also going to replace the two cross members as they are badly corroded. The crescent shaped cross member that joins from side to side also needs replacing as someone butchered it to fit a marina engine and am finding a hard time to fabricate one. I know its a long-shot but I am going to ask anyway, Does anyone on here have a good condition one for sale and is willing to post to Malta?

What I would also like to ask is if the rear subframe changed throughout the production run of the albatross. Basically I have an original subframe that I think came from an earlier boat and this does not fit my boat. Anyone know or have pictures or measurements of the correct subframe for a later 2 seater (I think mine is serial number 350)? I have attached a picture of the subframe. At the stern there are 2 rows of 4 rivet holes but the subframe has 2 rows of 3 rivet holes.

Here is a pic of a different one I found on the net,

Regards
Kyle :wot: