Why Was My Pearly Miss Made By AE Freezer ?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Mr Pearly
CMBA Member: 1255

Why Was My Pearly Miss Made By AE Freezer ?

Post by Mr Pearly »

I have a 14ft aluminium runabout which looks very similar to the Pearly Miss . Although mine has a makers plate on the dash of AE Freezer . Most of you have probably seen the boat in question recently on ebay. She is in incredible original condition just an inch of dust and pigeon poo, A genuine barn find ! . She has an aluminium deck which is covered in an elephant hide type vinyl. This seems original. The biggest difference I can see so far is the stringers in the floor go from front to back as opposed to pictures of boats made in Norfolk which have ribs running side to side. I'd be keen to find out likely build year so I can source an appropriate age related outboard . Cheers

I'll post pictures once she's looking her best.
:nice:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Why Was My Pearly Miss Made By AE Freezer ?

Post by Rapier »

Welcome. The design was carried on by Freezer on Hayling Island after the Pearly Miss MKIII, I think must have been around the late 1960s, as the MKII came out in 1966 and the MKIII in time for the Earls Court Boat Show in January 1967. Freezer also built a 16ft version with full deck, only 3 of which I know of, a much more practical boat and can be powered with > 40hp motors - the must be more...Maybe Se7en might have more detail on it - he pops up from time to time here.

MKIIs, IIIs and Freezer boats share the longitudinal stringers, a more pointed (fashionable) prow / bow section and striped vinyl foredeck. In your boat's case it has a full deck similar to a late1950s Pearly Miss I owned (see here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3394), which makes it unusual; possibly a de luxe version. Like the Pearly Miss, they were never painted as far as I know and unfotunately the rubber/vinyl covered decks come with their own problems, as the material rots and lets in water. By the very late 1960s cheap, stylish and deep V fibreglass family/ski boats were becoming common, so the sales of these boats in the UK alsmost stopped

It's a lovely long term project in reasonably original condition, with it's screen, but I'd dispose of the trailer, as they need a lot more support around the transom area (they often leak there as a result) than the early trailers offered.

The compass is an Aqua Meter version popular through to the early 70s, the tank is OMC (repainted) and the remotes are the ubiquitous OMC / B.W.P variants that take Type 'O' cables, but Olympia is not a brand I know, so can't give you a date for sure.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Mr Pearly

Post by Mr Pearly »

Hi, thank you very much for the info . I'm going to add a section to the trailer to support the transom , Apart from the rear section I like the trailer, plenty of keel rollers and well balanced , I've rewarded it with a new pair of tyres and have ordered new jockey wheel, hitch and winch . It's booked in for sandblasting Tuesday then I'll spray it with galv paint.

The only bits I'm doing to boat are a new pair of drain plugs as they are missing the bungs and ones been filled with sealant .

Can't decide on outboard power. I'm more likely to be using her on our local canal as I have a boat for the sea already . So although I'd like to give her some vroom with a tweaky 2 stroke 35 or 40 I'll probably have to stick to a 10hp as it's the canal rules . If anyone has a reliable 10hp that's late 60's for sale I'd be happy to hear from you. I'm going to assume she's a 1968 model just like me. That'll make it easier to remember both our birthdays :-)

Thanks for your help

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

Why not have it hot dipped? Last longer than the spray galv. in salt water.I did notice you say for use in canal,but you never know. About £0.90, incl vat, a kg, turn around usually a week I doubt your trailer will be much over 60kg.
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Mr Pearly

Post by Mr Pearly »

That's a great idea, I'll weigh it next week at work , cheers
:nice: