Batboat

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Batboat

Post by Rapier »

I viewed this boat this am..think is a Jeanneau as the French (and to a lesser degree, Germans) made mad looking boats. It definitely got lost in translation, but the black makes it worse. Would make a good project with work. It has the same powerful hull as the sprite and thunderthingys and a transom that looks modified, the rest sis ready to strip out. Has ca. early to mid 60s Aqua Meter guage and Mountney wheel. Screen h/w is intact and is circa early to mid 60s uprights. Trailer subject to negotiation. Pics for perusal, PM me if you want owner's number.
Attachments
Picture 011 (Large).jpg
Picture 010 (Large).jpg
Picture 009 (Large).jpg
Picture 008 (Large).jpg
Picture 007 (Large).jpg
Picture 006 (Large).jpg
Picture 005 (Large).jpg
Picture 003 (Large).jpg
Picture 002 (Large).jpg
Picture 001 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Tarquin
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Batboat

Post by Tarquin »

Who in their right mind would buy this?

:hmmm:

In a slightly different guise, a little older, a little wiser...........now sporting 'Martini' stickers on the fins this beauty arrived on my drive last weekend. :nice:

I have no idea what make she is but having spotted this thread and from the Ebay details suggesting it may be a Jeanneau, sent their HQ in France some photographs and they tell me it's not one of theirs.

I plan to restore to a decent level with a repaint and re-trim, maybe even cap the top off with a teak veneer but would like to know exactly what she is before going too far from type.

Any ideas?

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

I think is cool boat just change the seats, just need another boat from the the joker,cat woman,riddle etc

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

Tarquin wrote:. . . . . . . . . . before going too far from type.

Any ideas?
Restore it to original spec.:-

Should look good on Ivy Lake! :perfect:
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Interesting project and should go well, keep us posted as to your progress.

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Thanks, I will do...

I'm still struggling to identify the manufacturer so lots of questions if anybody can help?

The hull shape lends itself to the Albatross in some ways and i'm wondering if it's a one off racing design hence the addition of wings and flotation panels in the bilge? The French connection if there is one being that many Albatrossessss were sold abroad with Brigitte Bardot said to have owned one. :perfect: There is evidence of the original floor and it's only 8-10mm thick which doesn't seem thick enough for regular use. That said i'm not sure how much a 15' boat should weigh but she's damned heavy and i'm looking at a minimum of 6 hefty blokes to lift her onto stands.

Original colour would look to be Canary Yellow with black leatherette dash and trim which was subsequently overlaid with Lionelle material which is readily available today. For the swinging sixties where colour was king it didn't seem to radiate to cars but what about boats?

The steering wheel has been moved from right hand drive to left. Is this indicative of continental roots?

A random question about hull shape if anyone can help...

She has a 'Shetland' type bow but is relatively flat underneath. Is this typical of a motor launch or out and out speedboat? The transom is a solid 2" thick and looks able to accommodate more than one outboard.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

No relation to Albatross this one. Is a planing hull speedboat and similar in design to the G3 and Healey / Interglass / Birchwood variants, if so I can imagine it'll cope well in choppy water. 8-10mm is fine for a floor if it's supported by stringers etc. I couldn't work out whether it was fibreglass or rotomoulded which would be heavier and you might need to look under the floor and see if the bouyancy foam, if fitted, is perhaps water logged but I'd have thought 6 blokes to lift was fine. The steering was typically placed where ever the owner wanted it, some motors have a differing prop throw and that sometimes compensated. Most boats have the steering on the right now.

I know the boat came from Warsash, are you fairly near to there?

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Rapier wrote:No relation to Albatross this one. Is a planing hull speedboat and similar in design to the G3 and Healey / Interglass / Birchwood variants, if so I can imagine it'll cope well in choppy water. 8-10mm is fine for a floor if it's supported by stringers etc. I couldn't work out whether it was fibreglass or rotomoulded which would be heavier and you might need to look under the floor and see if the bouyancy foam, if fitted, is perhaps water logged but I'd have thought 6 blokes to lift was fine. The steering was typically placed where ever the owner wanted it, some motors have a differing prop throw and that sometimes compensated. Most boats have the steering on the right now.

I know the boat came from Warsash, are you fairly near to there?
Thanks again...
I believe the seller comes from Southampton.

I've found an old post on another forum which backs up what you are saying about the Glaspar G3 and Interglass. On YouTube there is some footage of a very, very similar G3 and a Healey which appears to have the same windscreen fittings as mine so it's confirmed I have an 'Inter Glasley G4' :perfect: :D

The existing flooring is 18mm and has already been removed to reveal the foam which i've removed but may put back. It's filthy dirty and in pieces but who's going to see it?!

I don't get the steering thing and will stick with the left hand drive I think... :wot:

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

Nearly all Albatrosses have the drive taken from the timing end of the engine so the prop rotates clockwise viewed from the back and the torque tends to rotate the hull anti-clockwise about its longitudinal axis. The helm is on the starboard side so the weight of a single occupant compensates.

The exception is the Alpines which have the drive taken from the flywheel end of the engine hence anti-clockwise prop rotation, torque which tries to rotate the hull clockwise and hence helm on the port side.

So clockwise prop - helm on the starboard side, anti-clockwise prop - helm on the port side. :perfect:
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!