ancient history Mrs wompy

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

catweazle
CMBA Member: 0

ancient history Mrs wompy

Post by catweazle »

Any thoughts on this please,a friend has posted this on Boatmad and is looking for any imfo at all.thanks.CW.
Attachments
MrsWompy.jpg

catweazle

Re: ancient history Mrs wompy

Post by catweazle »

C,mon folks give it a shot,year.pos make.location,any snipit will do it may leed somewhere you never know.cheers .cw.
There was a Wompy speedboat co in London in 1929 went bust.Whats a Wompy?. :thumbsup:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Looks as if it could possibly be an 'end of the pier' type speedboat, I will show the picture to my Father, he used to run seaside speedboats (beach launched) in the 40's 50's & 60's & knew others that did, just a slight chance (if it was south coats based) it may ring a bell with him.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

catweazle

Post by catweazle »

Ness Point Runner

Post by Ness Point Runner »

Mrs Wompy was run by my great Grandfather and his son both named Fred Earthroll off Felixstowe beach during the 20's-30's. I cant tell you much about the boat except in most of the photo's Great Granddad with his trademark bushy moustache is at the helm and that often a famous at the time actor who was on at the Felixstowe Pavilion at the time would always start his day with a trip around the bay.
They ran pleasure boats off the beach from the 20's-late 60's when I had the pleasure of acting as cabin boy for them.