Towing boat in France

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

knarloid
CMBA Member: 754

Towing boat in France

Post by knarloid »

Hi All,

I leave for the Cardiff rally on the 30th July. Typically of me, I'm taking the scenic route:
Rosslare to Roscoff, park up the trailer in Brittany for a week of hols before towing over to Cherbourg for a sailing to Poole on the 10th Aug.

As I won't be using the boat in France, I am wondering if I need to worry about being stopped and asked for lots of paperwork (proof of ownership, VAT receipt, Intl. proof of competency etc.).
As I inherited the boat a few years ago, I'm not sure how to prove such a thing, and there's definitely no VAT receipt from 1978 when my grandfather bought it second hand in southern Ireland. :hmmm:
Also - the trailer doesn't have fitted brakes......another potential issue?

I'll have the insurance for towing it and have it all strapped/secured, 2 spare wheels and bearings.

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but want to be sure. Either way I should have a few stories for when we all meet up in Cardiff. :thumbsup:

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Re: Towing boat in France

Post by Tremlett 15 »

This guy must be a contender for " The farthest trailed " prize :D :D :lol: :lol:

Good one K :thumbsup:

SORRY I CANNOT HELP WITH YOUR QUERIES :oops:

VAT WAS INTRODUCED IN THE UK IN 1973 BUT FOR YOU IN THE R o I, dont know, the other queries dont ask me my trailer is about 30 years old :o

HOPE SOMEONE WILL BE ALONG THAT CAN HELP

K, C U IN CARDIFF ( Team Ireland ) :perfect:

cowsail
CMBA Member: 52

Post by cowsail »

i hope you have remembered a jack.

knarloid

Post by knarloid »

I'll have the jack. I've towed the boat on this trailer up and down the country a few times in the last few years.
Thankfully changing wheels is the least of my worries :D .

I'm just hoping I won't look :? if Les Bleus stop me.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

I dont know if this will help, I have just put 'JADE' on the small ships register, £25 for five years,I did this as I also had no proof of ownership,and we take the boat down to Aix-Les-Bains every year, by putting it on the SSR you give the boat some identity, I'm not sure if it covers your part of the world, but log onto there web sit and see. Clive

knarloid

Post by knarloid »

Thanks Clive - how long did it take to get the paperwork through?
We have a similar register in Ireland.

Also - when you take the boat to France, do you have a braked trailer for her?
I've heard elsewhere today that a boat and trailer weighing over 750kg may have to be braked if towing in France. :grrr:

se7en

Post by se7en »

The SSR took about a week or so, very quick, regards to weight, my rig weighs 700kg so doesn't need brakes, suggest you look on the AA or RAC site, they should have the info you need. Clive

knarloid

Post by knarloid »

Have you ever been stopped and had the rig checked over by the boys in blue in France?
Once I land in Roscoff, I have a 90 minute journey to where it will be parked for a week prior to driving straight to Cherbourg for the ferry to Poole. My fear is that if I can't find a braked trailer in the next week and decide to risk it (for a french biscuit!), then the ferry ports are my main risk for checks.

I reckon my rig is over the 750kgs.

Damn it. :cry:

se7en

Post by se7en »

The french police haven't shown any interest in our car or boat, last year, going to Aix, we had our 'Jinx' J-82 on the roof of the car, 'Jade' our Donoratico on the trailer behind, and four adults(?) in the car, we were not over loaded, but we were close to full pay load, if the car/boat/ trailer look safe, I wouldn't think you would have any problems, however, only YOU can decide, it must be safe. Clive

knarloid

Post by knarloid »

I understand what you're saying.
I've spent a lot time getting the trailer to a level that I consider safe since getting it with the boat.
I'm very confident in it for distances (I'd want to be for the journey coming up 8-) !). I had the rig surveyed last week and the surveyor couldn't find anything to complain about with the boat or trailer.

I'll risk it. I have it all balanced very nicely on the trailer, and new bearings went in recently.
Thanks for the info. I owe you a pint when we meet. :thumbsup: