Trailers!

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Trailers!

Post by Rapier »

What a pain... 1 ming li foo, 1 deGraaf, 1 Snipe and 1 Admiral. Is a nightmare maintaining them. PCD this, bearing size that, tyre size this, ply type that. Tyres alone at £53 ea for the Admiral....the last set have perished, after 4 years and maybe 20 trips :evil:

One day I'll have a barn with racks, a hyster and an all-in-one trailer. :idea:
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Trailers!

Post by Alacrity »

Can you convert the Admiral to Towsure wheels & hubs?? :thumbsup:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Run out of time, long term, yes maybe. Admiral have some in stock at a good price for rim and tyre; they're in Hangbal this pm, so am VERY lucky. It means I have a go slow spare or two. Indespension are sold out as are TowSure. Also conversion will cost about £100 too. The other fact I gleaned is that 520x10s are going to be obsolete, anyone know more?

On the subject of trailers...I've seen some really dodgy ones; including a galvanised Hallmark one that looked absolutely perfect, but was twisted at the end of a 50 mile trip..water had lain in the box sections and rotted out from within, so the damage was only visible from underneath.

Then there was the one with Castrol LM in the bearings....

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

Then there was the one with Castrol LM in the bearings....
Castrol's website reckons LM is a good wheel bearing grease.

http://www.lintonfueloils.com/Site/tem1 ... ernalLink=

Cheers,
S
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

It's fine for car wheel bearings, but as Puddleduck will attest (having been my saviour), not very really good in bearings belonging to boat trailers that regularly go into salt water.

Fuch's Renolit is the only one I use since then. Indespension stock it.

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

Aha!

I've been using Halford's finest waterproof grease, but I haven't checked for seawater damage.

I will have to alter my maintenance regime from ignoring them to taking a look and see what horrors reside in the hubs.

If it stops raining!

Cheers,
S
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

I use JCB Special 'MPL' grease multi-purpose Lithium grease, got a big free job lot a few years back & still using it :D

:wot:

Tremlett 15

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Rapier, I am going to my tyre mate tomorrow morning to get new front tyres on Mrs T 15s car, so I will ask re 520 X 10". I use 145 x 10" will also ask about them,

see

http://www.autow.co.uk/trailer_parts/18 ... es_18.html

:wot:

Tremlett 15

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Back from my tyre mate, NO Cardiff beer money left!! :x

He no longer stocks 520 x 10" ( crocssply ) more or less off the market but you could still get them at a PRICE. He said the 145X10" radial are the ones to go for, better for trailer as LESS BOUNCE !! & cheaper by FAR!! The two I got fitted last year ( July 08 ) were £ 70.26 for 2 including VAT & including tube, as my rims are old I put tubes in as well & an extra one fitted in Sept 08 cost £24.55 ALL IN much cheaper than in July so said nothing!! ( These are 8 ply steel belted radial I assume a "cheap" make!! but work oK so far!!! )

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Post by twister »

In case anyone's in need, I have a Brand New Never Used 145 x 10 on a Mini wheel - it was only ever a spare for a trailer I don't have now - plus at least 2 decent Mini rims. All open to offers...