Anyone know what this is?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

rogerfishburn
CMBA Member: 0

Anyone know what this is?

Post by rogerfishburn »

Sorry couldn't upload the pictures, files too big. Please follow the link below to the images of the boat. I need some help identifying this if possible. ignore the image with pipes on.Looks a bit moonfleetish but don't know the model if it is. The engine cowl has been raised by about 3 inches to allow the installation of a pinto. I am going to restore it but any advice would be gratefully received.Please let me know if you have problems with the images, I have tested the link and it was working.
Thanks in advance Roger

http://imgur.com/a/8tCig

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Post by Alacrity »

Moonfleet Aquilla I believe.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

rogerfishburn

Post by rogerfishburn »

Hi, thanks, that was what I was thinking but there are some differences like the fins are not semicircular and the moulded vents are different along with the engine cowl. Just wondered if there were any pretenders made about the same time to look like the moonfleets. Any idea what sort of date or if there are any special features that would definitely tie it down. Don't really know much about moonfleets or the different model types, are there any places to look on the web for model identification?
thanks roger

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

Been studying images and looks like an Aquila copy of some description, but unless someone can prove me wrong I don't think this is from the Moonfleet family :( hull is a completely different design . :?

rogerfishburn

Post by rogerfishburn »

Hi thanks,any idea what it might be,It would be a lot of work to make a mould for a single boat so i would have thought there must be more of them. Were there any known copiers around at the time? I assume its from the late 50s due to its shape and the vent mouldings and engine cover design
Thanks Roger.

welshhealey

Post by welshhealey »

After many hours of cursing and swearing :grrr: I've managed to scan a copy of the Moonfleet range of boats from a copy of the original brochure of that era. :perfect:
You may have to zoom in to see the details though ! :hmmm:
Scan 5.jpeg

rogerfishburn

Post by rogerfishburn »

Thats great and thanks for the effort, much appreciated. I have noticed the windscreen brackets are also different but do look as though they could be original. Unfortunately I cant find any badges or id marks anywhere but that may change when the sanding starts . It appears to have been painted several times. I can get a pinto straight back in or have the chance of a zephyr engine which I think I prefer. If you have any tips or find anything out please let me know and thanks again - the mystery deepens!!!
Cheers Roger

welshhealey

Post by welshhealey »

Certain parts for a zephyr engine are hard to come by and some are extremely expensive due to the rarity , as I found out during the rebuild of my Aquila, plus, the Zephyr engine weighs a ton in comparison with the Pinto in which I would think is a lot lighter improving performance and handling etc... It would be interesting to find out what it had in there when new .. :hmmm: which engine do you have a chance of ? Essex V6 or straight 6 and if it's straight 6 Mk 2 or 3 ? (206e mk1 213e mk 3 ) number is cast on the block bottom rear right hand side. ;)

rogerfishburn

Post by rogerfishburn »

Its a straight six but haven't got it yet so don't know the numbers, The pinto is really good condition but not sure of the power. Was there a boat building firm called Argocraft around in the late fifties,I believe they do models now if its the same company. Just wondered if it could be from their stable. Will forward some pictures of the engines when I get the chance.
Cheers Roger