Old race info wanted

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Old race info wanted

Post by Rapier »

Anyone here have any knowledge / paperwork of the 'Cornish 100', Class B in 1965, 'Putney to Calais', Class C of 1965 and the 'Solent Basic Race'?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Spindrift
CMBA Member: 834

Re: Old race info wanted

Post by Spindrift »

The late Geoff Tobert took part in the Putney Calais races in Owens Kents, with the powerboat journalist Ray Bulmore as his navigator on at least one occasion. I don't know how you would get in touch with Ray, but he may have some information which could be helpful.
Gaffer tape and WD40. There, a toolkit!

Owens 'Kent', 16ft. "Dove Too"

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Rapier, what do you want to know ? I may be able to help

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Ended up with some trophies...always very nice if they have provenance, boats, motors, drivers etc. so was looking specifically for:-

The winning co-driver Class B, Solent 70, 1965
The winning co-driver Class C, Putney Calais, 1965
3rd in Class C, Putney Calais, 1965
The winning co-driver Class B, Cornish 100, 1965

& a small wood shield that says 'Solent Basic Race', 1965
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Right, here we go, all races are 1965

The winning B class Co driver of the Solent 70 and the Cornish 100 is I. Young, in "Flaming Fleming" a Glastron V143 / mercury 70hp driven by P.Ramage.

The winning C class Co driver of the Putney-Calais is P.Hicks, in "Pan Yan" a Glastron V171 / 2 X 75HP Evinrudes driven by S.Ulander, overall winners

Third in C class Putney-Calais is T.Curtis in " Boffins Coffin" also a Glastron V171 / 2 x 75hp Evinrudes, Co driven by J,flemming.

I remember "pan yan" and "Boffins Coffin", they were both very impressive with there twin "Crouching Toad" Evinrude 75's , both stripped out, no wind screens and full of fuel tanks..!! god knows what they must have cost to run.....I know nothing about "Flaming Fleming", same goes for the wooden shield.