Glastron SSV 178 & merc 115

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Glastron SSV 178 & merc 115

Post by sean-nós »

Well I picked up my little barn find today and after a bit of a wash she doesn't look too bad the floor seems good but there is a bit of movement in the transom.

And yes of course I had to play with the engine :chuffed:

sean-nós

Re: Glastron SSV 178 & merc 115

Post by sean-nós »

Don't judge a book by it's cover :grrr: Well I half expected this the transom is rotten so I'm going to split the boat in half and replace it along with the stringers, I was hopping to get a bit of use out of the boat this summer but that is so bad I'm not going to take the chance "not with my look" :D

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Occupational hazard of owning old boats...Will be a big job, but a doddle with your skills.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Aw bugger, this sort of thing is to be expected with old glass boats I guess :console: .
Access is the biggest issue, certainly the mechanics of it will pose no challenge to your skills, ideally you want to tackle it from inside so some of the floor at the back will need to come out too which may reveal more nasties (did for me ) There are a few shots and words on the job I did on my boat here:- viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1679 .
I think you are right not to risk running with it as it is, you don't appear to be blessed with the best of luck at the moment but I hope that soon changes for you.

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

A bit of stripping out today, why o why would someone put chipboard down as a floor in a boat :grrr: they didn't even try to seal it :?

The old rotten floor wasn't even taken out, the good thing is that the stringers don't look bad it seems that the boat was tilted up when stored and the water sat in the transom area.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Ugh. Are the non-rotted stringers OK too? Every project floor I've done has had stringers that although dry were brittle enough to snap by hand. Surprised they weren't glassed in also, but that's no insurance on a 35+ year old boat I guess.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

Saw dust be like man glitter

Fibreglass dust be like radioactive fallout :D

Slowly getting there, I'm not sure yet if I will remove the old stringers as they aren't too bad up front so I might just smooth off one side and double them up with the new ones.

Well thats one use for a mobility hoist :eek: I used it more to keep the engine balanced than to lift it, to take the engine off I lowered the trailer with the jockey wheel placed wooden blocks under the skeg and then lifted the front of the trailer up till the transom was lower than the clamps then pulled the boat forward.

That one 2 minute bolt that snaps and turns into a 2 hour bolt :(

I used the stand I got for the V8 :)

More holes than a golf course.

A bit of a mess.

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

I have a nice red insert if you would to replace the black,should be enough there.
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

Nice one :thumbsup: if I can tidy up the blue metal flake I'll keep the boat blue and white if not I'll paint it red and white :D

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

As the transom board doesn't go the full width of the boat I was able to get away with just cutting away the splash well.

I'll just paint a stripe or use some timber moulding to hide the repair.

I'm going to make some plywood stringers here with knees that go up the transom for extra strenght.

Dont think I will be able to get a template off this one.:eek: