Trailer advice needed?

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tarquin
CMBA Member: 0

Trailer advice needed?

Post by Tarquin »

I've been looking for a trailer for my 15' shell of a speedboat but don't know the weight nor can I find a used one at a sensible price. I've done eBay, Gumtree, Friday and and a number of boat sites with little success.

Any suggestions?

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Trailer advice needed?

Post by floater »

Looks like you've already searched in all of the best places, if the boat is not a heavy build with a cast iron truck engine I'd guess that 550kg is about what you need to look for. You can go up to 750 kg without having to worry about brakes provided the car can tow that much unbraked. Most folk here (myself included) recommend bunks rather than rollers as they offer better hull support particularly for wooden hulls. Snipe trailers have a good fuss free suspension set up that seems to perform better than those with trailing arm rubber block indepension type units which harden over time.
Extreme trailers In Southampton are at the cheaper end of the spectrum for new trailers and offer a 500kg bunked for £836 http://www.extreme-trailers.co.uk/ext50 ... ?chapter=0
Alternatively you could buy all the parts and build your own, parts are readily available,depends on what value you put on your time.

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Many thanks Floater...

I'd not given great consideration to trailers and engines when I bought 'Batty' 3 years ago.....

download/file.php?id=1958&t=1

I knew they were costly new but am surprised at how few gooduns come onto the open market.

simonb

Post by simonb »

Hi Tarquin,

I've got a trailer that although isn't the prettiest is perfectly suitable. It's in my way so you are welcome to it. I'm located in Bristol.

Regards
Simon