Owens speed boat some of interest

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Owens speed boat some of interest

Post by Howstar »

http://boat-restoration.webs.com/
FOUND THIS MIGHT BE OF INTEREST WITH ANYONE WITH OWENS BOAT

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Owens speed boat some of interest

Post by Rapier »

Kent, Dover and Brisbane were the common UK models. The Brisbane suffers from having a wood floor and bearers...a lot of it must have been handmade. That model eventually became the Bry Owen (or Bry-Owen) which are quite common in the UK and have a deep V (in comparison) and 20in transom. Se7en might correct me but think the production run went into the late 70s. There was also a sliding roof dayboat almost exactly like the Healey Corvette, with the same cut down fins and a cabin cruiser. They all copied each other's designs...heard this was called 'splashing'? There's a Kent lying around the corner from me...someone gave up when they cut the transom out.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Yes, they were made up to at least the mid 70s, the sliding hard top was the Kent 'landou' , that may not be the correct spelling, Owens man in the U.K. in the late 50s to the late 60s was a guy called Geoff Tobert, the fellow that crossed the channel with Ray Bulman a couple of months ago , aged 82 or something, the bry owen connection was when a guy called Bryant ( his first name slips me at the moment, old age..!!) made them under licence in the U.K. from the late 60s on.
A 'splash' mould is a mould that is only designed to take one or two mouldings out off, or a mould of part of a boat,i.e. if you have a hole in a boat , you can take a splash of the area on an other boat of the same model, and take a repair patch moulding off of that,

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Thanks Se7en, just what was the practice of copying a hull called? Somewhere read it but forgotten...the most common I see here is the Winner / Owens / Cutter / Healey hull is ca 15-16ft, must have been a Brunswick thing. But we know the G3 was copied and there are stacks of Thunderthingys around. last count including the Healey Sprites was 9, in the club or -1 if the insurance adjuster that bought Chris Banton's is not a member.

Spindrift
CMBA Member: 834

Post by Spindrift »

Howstar wrote:http://boat-restoration.webs.com/
FOUND THIS MIGHT BE OF INTEREST WITH ANYONE WITH OWENS BOAT
Hi Howstar,

Thanks for picking up on the website. It's mine! I posted a message a couple of days ago in the Boatshed asking for information about windscreen fixings, and being a new member have just been browsing through the forum today. No direct replies about the fixings yet, but have possibly found a new use for Homebase coat hooks!

Wish I'd found the CMBA before. What a great resource.
Gaffer tape and WD40. There, a toolkit!

Owens 'Kent', 16ft. "Dove Too"

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

I found the site really interesting; at one stage I nearly bought a Kent, mistaking it for a Healey Marine Corvette, which it basically was anyway. Also had a Brisbane hull at one stage.

Was looking at the rope steering one - it's a very dangerous setup...places like Aladdin's Cave Rigging does plastic coated stainless wire in 4.2 and 5.0mm at very reasonable cost. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that boat when the rope frays and goes boing.

Spindrift
CMBA Member: 834

Post by Spindrift »

Rapier wrote:
Was looking at the rope steering one - it's a very dangerous setup...places like Aladdin's Cave Rigging does plastic coated stainless wire in 4.2 and 5.0mm at very reasonable cost. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that boat when the rope frays and goes boing.
Thanks Rapier. Thoughts of parting ropes had crossed my mind, too. I've seen some ropes part under strain and it's not a good place to be. I will certainly look at Aladdin's Cave as they have helped out with other bits and pieces in the past.
Gaffer tape and WD40. There, a toolkit!

Owens 'Kent', 16ft. "Dove Too"

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

Pop down to Cardif and say hello there will pleanty of people ready to give you some advice, i will be in Moonfleet, :wot: :wot:

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Good morning all. I've bought this boat recently as a project. To me it looks like it has good potential. A good hull, but as posted earlier in this thread it does have a wooden floor. In the process of building some rear seats for it, but going to buy some front ones and put padded coversed panels along the sides within the boat. It's my first ever boat and project so any advice would be much appreciated.
According to the plate it is a Bry-Owen Windsor. Does anyone know much or anything about these models?
I will upload some pics shortly.

Many thanks in advance :P

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

This is my Windsor project... :?
Attachments
My Windsor Project
My Windsor Project