Owens speed boat some of interest

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Zoomer
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Owens speed boat some of interest

Post by Zoomer »

A couple more of my project and the plate :)

(Sorry, still trying to get the hang of this forum lol)
Attachments
Boat3plate.JPG
Boat2.JPG

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

These were developed from earlier Owens (with flat hulls & are quite common in the UK). Brunswick bought out Owens in the early 60s, but this boat has it's history around the late 1950s in the US, Windsor is a local model. They're a deeper V than the earlier models, and less packed with likely rotten wood, & easier to own if your boating is choppy water. Later the molds were sold by Sussex Boats, with little change in specification, possibly only modified transoms for later long shaft engines.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Kinger

Post by Kinger »

Hi
I have just bought a Bry Owens boat. unfinished project. I am looking for rubber grommets to fit to the engine well through which I can pass the gear shift cable and the accelerator cable. It look like the sides of the engine well have never been drilled for cables and there is no hole to pass the steering cable through. Any thoughts on where I can purchase these items? :grrr:

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Welcome, try ebay using the search term 'witches hat boat'. They're generally available at most chandlers too. Force 4 / Aquafax etc..

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

I have forgotten what this boat looks like can you post a picture

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

Seen one of these today(same colour too ) in near mint condition with part of the polythene still on the original seats :o ... Boat is in West Wales and I think it will be going up for sale soon . :perfect:

repairman

Post by repairman »

Hi all,

I'm new on here but found this thread when I was researching the boat my son and I bought on ebay a year or so back. Someone had previously fixed the word 'Broom' to her in stick-on lettering which had us fooled for a while but looking at your pictures I think she must be a Bry-Owens too. If anyone can shed any more light it would be much appreciated.
Classic Duck Magnet
Classic Duck Magnet
We've had her out on the rivers Severn and Ouse (the Great one) and also buzzed around Cardiff Bay a couple of times this year (great fun that was :-)) although we struggled for months to get the aged Johnson running properly at low revs - hence the auxiliary you see on the back. It's all fixed and working now but that's probably a post for another forum!

Anyway thanks for running a great forum - it's been a real mine of information especially for a complete novice like myself.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Welcome, this one looks like a Sussex Boat with that stripe, their offices were 5 Orchard Road, East Preston - it is rated to 60hp. Those Johnsons and their Evinrude 40hp equivalents are still used by many members - they can be a pain to setup properly if the carb needles and packing are worn. Here's a Dutch one that appeared on ebay at some point.
Attachments
bb74_3.jpg

repairman

Post by repairman »

Thanks Rapier, it's good to learn she has some family history and some siblings out there too.

Our running problems on the Johnson stemmed from the brass ring around which the timing plate rotates constantly dropping out. It had been glued back by a previous owner but wouldn't stay because the splines that are meant to grip it were worn away. Unfortunately it took me from April until September to work out that if I turned it over and tapped it back on it held firm with no glue required. We spent the whole season running on one cylinder below half throttle but now the slow idle is so strong we have to use the kill switch to stop the engine. Even in that bad state she could really fly at full throttle - can't imagine what a full 60 HP would be like!

Am I right in thinking our boat would date from the mid seventies? We have a 1976 Jensen GT with a tow hitch - might look great as an outfit, except that the car dies at the sight of water :-(

Micha 75

Post by Micha 75 »

Bry-Owen (Zeus-Marine Windsor) - 4.25m - 1975 - 60hp - 60 kmh.
Attachments
Bry-Owen Zeus-Marine Windsor 1975