USA spec trailer needs UK conversion

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Mastercraft

USA spec trailer needs UK conversion

Post by Mastercraft »

Trailer hitch surge brake actuator
Trailer hitch surge brake actuator
Hi I have recently acquired a 1981 Mastercraft 19ft V8 5.7ltr inboard ski boat.
The boat was built in Canada although to USA spec which included the custom built 2 wheel trailer. The trailer has surge actuator hydraulic drum brakes fitted ( although long since ceased working as bone dry of fluid). I had planned to restore these as parts are still available from the USA manufacturer but I am told that hydraulic brakes are illegal in the UK ( although the boat has been in the UK for 30+ years and towed all over).

Anyway it seems that I will now need to undertake a major revamp of the trailer to adapt it to cable operated brakes. I can find no reference anywhere that this could be done easily.

So I guess it will require all new suspension, hubs, hitch etc and a lot of welding and messing about. It's somewhat outside of my comfort zone to do this work and there is also an issue if It needs to take the boat off the trailer to do the work. It weighs about 2000lbs.

It has been suggested I just buy a second hand trailer, but I want to keep the original look if I can (although maybe second hand parts could be used).

My question is does anyone know of a nice cheap friendly trailer man who would undertake this sort of oddball work. I have tried a few trailer places and got a cold shoulder or been quoted silly prices. Given the boats low value I need to do this as cost effectively as possible.

I live in Warwickshire but happy to travel for the right solution.

Many thanks for any advice re any of the above. Feeling a bit stuck at the moment.

Martin

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: USA spec trailer needs UK conversion

Post by Rapier »

If the factory spec brakes work properly and the trailer boat combination is the original load setup it will be fit for purpose, but if UK law says it's illegal and if it's involved in an accident (invariably through no fault of your own..) the consequences will be no fun, especially if your boat/trailer insurance invalidate the policy on that basis. On another hand, more modern ski-boat US style / made trailers do come up for sale here often enough; those that may be both cheaper than your renovation option and might have been sold on by a ski-lake owner. It might be worthwhile waiting for one (boatsandoutboards / ebay / gumtree), or finding a braked twin axle (ugh x 2) european legal trailer with bunks (not rollers) that will fit the boat and legally comply. There'll be many schools of thought here, but it's a a minefield really - I see awful 1960s speedboat trailers that people sell on, yet they're still legal to use on our roads.

If you need to, try Steve, or Dan from Burseldon Outboards - they've done trailer work for me in the past.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Are you sure hydraulic brakes are illegal here? I am sure I have seen new ones for sale over with that system (bigger trailers normally). I know we have quite a few in the CMBA that are hydraulic. If they are illegal then, as Rapier says, you may have problems if you are involved in an accident with the trailer attached. Other than that plod will leave you alone if your trailer appears sound as quite often the trailer owner may know more about the law regarding his actual trailer than plod does (this was told to me by a traffic officer).

As Rapier says trailers are a minefield for all, but some of the trailers we see at rallies really do make you wonder a) how they arrived in one piece & b) how they didn't get knicked on the way! :roll: :roll:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Mastercraft

Post by Mastercraft »

Thank you both for your replies.

Sadly hydraulic brakes are illegal on this type of trailer, confirmed by the National Trailer and Towing Association who said in response to me request for confirmation:

Hi Martin,

I’m afraid that you are indeed correct – hydraulic brakes on this category of trailer are indeed illegal for UK road use.
To make a US spec trailer UK road-legal, you will have to change the brakes and coupling to work on the overrun type system. Any trailer over 750kg gross vehicle weight must be braked by law.
Usually the most cost effective way is to change the axle(s) complete and install a braked coupling to suit the setup.

Looks like a lot of work and cost, hey ho!

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Interesting. And very stupid.

I know of at least two CMBA members who are using hydraulic disc braked trailers - & extremely good they are too, much better than the 'legal' system with all its rods & cables that a guaranteed to seize up in next to no time, even if maintained.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!