Inspection hatch recommendations? Update Endoscope results

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

shmbry
CMBA Member: 0

Inspection hatch recommendations? Update Endoscope results

Post by shmbry »

Hello

I have a 13' Owens runabout and although it hasn't been in the water for many years it has been outside, in the rain. There are no obvious signs that there is anything wrong with the sole / deck / floor however as there are no seats there are at least 8 1/2" holes. My fear is that rain water has got through these holes. Although I've not weighed it the boat does seem heavy for the published 472lbs weight.

It has been recommended that I cut one or two holes which are then covered with inspection hatches. My preference would be one at the stern, close to the drain pocket in the centre of the transom and the other in the bow, on the bow side of the foot rest.

I have been looking around for low profile, screw in hatches with 'O' ring and have become bemused with the choice. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a manufacturer?

Once I ascertain the sole / floor / deck is sound I can begin paint stripping, which will lead me on to another post....
Last edited by shmbry on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Inspection hatch recommendations?

Post by floater »

I used Barton hatches in my floor (http://bartonmarine.com/products-inspection-covers.asp). Three 6" dia ones under the rear seat to give access to the centre and outsides of the hull either side of the two longitudinal stringers and a larger 10" I think :hmmm: in the centre of the floor up front. It is good for peace of mind to be able to peer in and look for water. I usually leave them open when at home to prevent condensation between the floor and hull.
The forward hatch is a toggle latch type whereas the rear three screw down with a foam "o" ring seal which breaks after a while. None are perfectly flush and stand proud of the floor by 3 to 5mm
Attachments
Forward hatch
Forward hatch

shmbry
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Inspection hatch recommendations? Update Endoscope results

Post by shmbry »

Hi Floater

Many thanks for the reply, I will look into those.

Since posting I have lashed out £10 on a Chinese USB Endoscope which arrived today. The laptop recognised it without any problems which meant I didn't have to use the mini CD that came with it!

I used Windows movie marker to view the image, which for a £10 camera is quite good. It has adjustable brightness for the LED lights which is useful. The image angle is about 60 degrees which gives a reasonable field of view.

One thing I had to do was to tape a stout piece of wire, bent at 90 degrees, to the camera so that I could direct it having put it through one of the holes in the sole of the boat. The 10 metre cable isn't stout enough for you to be able to direct the camera.

Although I didn't record any video I was able to see under the floor and once I was able to steer the camera I could then figure out what I was looking at. Although the LED's are reasonably powerful I was able to see only about a foot in front of the camera. Thankfully there is no standing water in the hull. There is are several handfuls of what appears to be rotting leaves, washed through the seat mounting holes by the rain, and quite a lot of paint flakes. There is no sign of any polystyrene buoyancy. There appear to be two glass covered bearers runner fore and aft, these form a box about 10" wide which aft form the sides of the drain pocket at the rear of the sole.

I also found a drain plug that exists from the under the sole into that drain pocket. On occasion the camera became obscured by detritus and when cleaning this off I found it to be damp but not wet.

My conclusion is the hull is not full of rain water, but is still too damp for my liking. The underside of the sole certainly seems sound so there is no need to remove it :D The next question is how to dry it out, unfortunately I can't see today's weather lasting!

For anyone curious as to what their inner most regions look like :shock: I would recommend one of these gadgets, certainly for the sake of £10.