Custom paint colours

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Custom paint colours

Post by Woodwych »

My Broom Rapier restoration caused some difficulties in finding the right colour paint. It was originally painted all over except for some varnish on the front deck 'kidney' shapes. The standard marine paint colours were not right and mindful that the boat will spend 99% of its time not in water I decided to go down the 'normal' paint route. I also put a few coats of epoxy on as a barrier coating.
B&Q do an impressive range of custom colours (Valspar) and have hundreds of really useful colour samples that you take and experiment with. You can also buy match pots to double check you've got it right.They only sell water based paints and I found the gloss dried too quickly to get a decent finish.
So once you have the perfect B&Q colour you head off to Johnsons paints and ask them to ring their head office and get your colour matched. You can then buy their oil based professional gloss which gives a much better finish.
Bottom is 'Planet Fever" and topsides are 'Cupcake' both B&Q names matched by Johnson's
Bottom is 'Planet Fever" and topsides are 'Cupcake' both B&Q names matched by Johnson's