electronic ignition..

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

kwoffa
CMBA Member: 1180

electronic ignition..

Post by kwoffa »

Chaps i have been beavering a way on my boat for a while now..and have come to the point of installing electronic ignition..my engine is a 100e distributer cap is a lucas 418888 can anyone point me in the right direction...TIA Mel.

Diomedea

Re: electronic ignition..

Post by Diomedea »

Try Accuspark, this has a magnetic sensor which fits where the points go and a ring which slips over the shaft. Works fine on my 100E
Wiring is simple although you might find that an electronic rev counter might object.
I've also tried Lumenition but it may be difficult to get it to fit the 100E distributor but works on a 1600 crossflow.
If you are still stuck send me a pm and we can chat about it further

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I have used a kit that does away with the points & condenser but keeps the standard coil on my Delta's with great success. Easy to fit & reliable. Something like this:- https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-ETC5835K ... QxEALw_wcB
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

Many thanks Chaps,,,i do believe that my rev counter has various adjustments to accomadate EI..

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

With the style I am talking about (not electronic ignition (no box of tricks) just electronic points) you will not need to alter the tacho as you will using the original coil.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Diomedea

Post by Diomedea »

My apologies! The system I have in mine is Powerspark (not Accuspark) which is the same are Alacrity refers but by another name.
To be fair through, the "electronic box of tricks" is all contained in the block which goes in the distributor and replaces the points.
There are four magnets in the ring which goes on the shaft and the block contains a transducer using the "Hall effect" , some interface bits and an output transistor to power the coil. There will also be some other parts to compensate for the fact that the condenser is removed as welland to protect the whole lot from the voltage surges present.
The current and voltage in the coil are not quite the same as with points so some tachometers can misbehave.
The "Accuspark" systems are very similar.
Lumenition offer a number of variants, the original system (1970s) had a metal four (or six) pronged chopper blade which cut a light beam (led/phototransistor) and then an "external box of tricks" which converted that and drove the coil. Lumenition now offer a magnetic version and bespoke "performance" coils and systems as well.
Just make sure that you get the right kit to match your distributor or you will damage something - like the chopper blade which is now plastic and they are expensive for what they are.
Either way these are much better than points and should provide better starting and running. Oh and make sure that you do not impede the movement of the mounting plate which provides automatic ignition advance.
Oh and lastly - don't use a coil from a ballasted system. It will burn out without the ballast resistor which is by passed by the ignition in a car to get more voltage to the coil for starting.

kwoffa

Post by kwoffa »

Well my boat has been rewired and guess what the engine wont fire ! i have changed the disy and leads,looking at the points etc they are quite grubby,plugs are black as your hat! so new plugs and IE will be installed for sure,i cant be arsed with points... all Guges have been buzzed out and working including my rev counter ! while the dash was out a kill switch with landyard was installed too... getting there now...just want the engine to fire !....it will...

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

I have now remembered the make of mine it is the Aldon Ignitor. Brilliant bit of kit.

Diomedea

Post by Diomedea »

That appears to be identical to the Powerspark - but much more expensive :(

Diomedea

Post by Diomedea »

RE your no spark problem - since you have redone the wiring and kill switch I suggest you make sure that you have the 12 v "ignition" feed to the + of the coil and then that the other side of the coil goes to the points and hence to earth when the points are closed - don't leave it one with the points closed for too long.

With the distributor cap off and the point closed put the ht lead form the coil near a good earth (bolt on cylinder head). Open and close the points with something non metallic, you should get a spark from the ht lead.

If no spark then double check the leads to the coil and if necessary a spare coil if you have one.

Get this right before you drop in the electronic ignition or you may just end up in more trouble