electronic ignition..

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

kwoffa
CMBA Member: 1180

Re: electronic ignition..

Post by kwoffa »

I always had faith in "misty blue" and after a bit of a clean up along with cleaning the points with an emery bourd the ole girl nearly fired ! a bit of a cough and splutter but definatly possitive....i have put the battery on charge...and cant wait to give it another go in a couple of days time....

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Agreed, you don't NEED electronic ignition (or points in the case of what I am advocating) to get the engine running & usable, it just makes the old points/condenser system (with the issue of today's VERY sub standard components) redundant & makes a big difference (in both cases where I have used it) in the engine starting - for the better!

It is of course easy to swop it back at any time should the need arises.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

kwoffa
CMBA Member: 1180

Post by kwoffa »

Well many of you now know (thru our facebook page) misty is now running very sweetly...i had to change the condenser as it had a current running thru it ! cleaned the points etc changed plugs and leads dizzy cap..and she fired up..managed to hook her up to a hose and ran her for about 3/4 of an hour and settled lovely...however i do want to change to electronic ignition still..