can any one identify this boat

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

tim briggs
CMBA Member: 0

can any one identify this boat

Post by tim briggs »

Went and picked this boat up today. It has been mucked about with (a lot), inboard has gone and has been hacksawed to allow a small outboard. some of the work is terrible, yet some seems to have been reasonably well done (a plate has been riveted over the transom and the rivets well spaced, may even have been measured). I bought it over the phone as it had to go today, but the pictures were not that great and the vendor could not tell me whether it was aluminium of glass fibre.
I am pleased to say it is aluminium, it looks like an albatross but the hatch seems to be too long. I thought some of the fitting might give it away so have uploaded a few.
My plan is to get it back to being an inboard, knock all the dents out and replace the incorrect windscreen etc, but first hoping to find out what it is.
any help would be appreciated
Attachments
Unknown-17.jpeg
Unknown-4.jpeg
Unknown-10.jpeg
Unknown-8.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: can any one identify this boat

Post by Rapier »

We couldn't work out what it was at the time it pitched up in the Internet Finds. The listings drop off after a few weeks, so no history is available. Am sure there'll be someone who might be able to identify it with your pics. The deck hardware is Albatross, the stern similar to the later Continental & an interesting spray rail looks like that on a Simmonds..
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

Lots of clues suggesting a very hacked-around albatross with a replaced windscreen, Different rear hatch etc.

A brave purchase...!

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

Ps a further clue might be dimensions, if you can post.

Diomedea

Post by Diomedea »

I’m sure it started life as an Albatross but has been severely butchered.
The side opening bonnet is interesting but again, I think, nor original.
The transom is not strong enough To take an outboard as it stands.
I recall some other pics recently, I think the dashboard and front cockpit bulkhead and other bits were chopped? Is that right?
Very tricky to know what would be best?

tim briggs
CMBA Member: 0

Post by tim briggs »

Thanks for your comments. the transom has been plated but you can see what look like albatross vents from the inside. the opening deck lid is a single sheet of rolled aluminium with no stiffeners or frame work, so almost certainly not original. The length is just under 13 foot. I have added a few more pics.
I think the heat exchangers are similar to an albatross.
I have been offered a worthy Blake marinised ford crossflow (block stamp would suggest 1600cc) do you think it would fit height wise? it has a gear box which would be handy for reverse, but may push the height of the engine up.
I have looked on YouTube for a guide to find the serial number on an albatross and will post again if I find it.
Attachments
Unknown-6.jpeg
Unknown-15.jpeg
Unknown-18.jpeg

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

The serial plate for an albatross is on the rear crossmember aft of the hatch, and looks like it isn’t there. The new photos do indeed demonstrate it is an albatross. John Fildes could probably work out what model/age.

The issue with your engine might be length, as it has to use the prop shaft in the right place, which might extend it backwards into the bulkhead between cabin and engine compartment, as well as push the height up. This will be more acute with a gearbox and clutch.

Diomedea

Post by Diomedea »

Hello, even the lengthwise bearers and the cooling pods say it's an Albatross.
The number might be on the keg (if it's till there), on the seat back - but I think that's gone and the footwell hatch - but I think that's gone.
Re the engine and gearbox, this looks very unlikely due to the very limited height, Albatross sumps were low to keep the engine low and the prop angle (normally 18 degrees).
Then there is the issue of the length with the engine and gearbox. I don't see how it would all fit in. Some simple measurements would tell.
Also, with the flywheel at the stern end and then the gearbox, it's going to be even higher.
If you want to go radical, you could put the engine in the other way with a V gearbox forward but why?

Diomedea

Post by Diomedea »

Looking at the transom it's strange. You can see where the original holes were. Below that is another set of holes which looks like it could have been modified for an outdrive, lastly the plate has been properly riveted.
Strange - did the seller know any history?