windscreen rubber

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

windscreen rubber

Post by puddleduck »

The International Boatbuilding Training Centre in Oulton Broad are restoring a MkI Fenn & Wood Meteor and making a very nice job of it too. They are in need of windscreen rubber, the section that sits on the deck, ie with a small flage on the front edge. It must be very flexible as the Meteor has a very pronouced deck camber.

Any ideas?

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Re: windscreen rubber

Post by BroomBroom »

Not familiar with the section, so this may not be any use but I've always used Seals+Direct http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk
I know they do a blade type section with a beaded edge. FWIW I've always found them excellent.
Cheers,
R
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Try peter freebody at Herley-on-Thames, they can supply the rubber that Riva use, same as used on "Jade", very soft .

jonboy

Post by jonboy »

I know It's a long way, but near me in Portugal is a firm that has, or more importantly, makes any rubber profile for the auto industry mainly , I have used them for door seals on an old Mercedes, some extension wheel arch spat thingies for an early Nissan Patrol... Give them an old piece, or a true size, cross section drawing and they make it...They also have just about any kind of trim fastener, rivet, body trim attacher, grommett, plug, gaiter .... and claim to make what they don't have, again...If any body is interested contact me, or send me a drawing and I'll get a price and ET of delivery...
jonboy

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Post by bigminiandy »

the piece of rubber on my MK1 Meteor looks just like the rubber inserts ( U channel ) that are fitted between the wheel arches and a car body on something like my old mini or even classic beetles. The flange on the rubbers is fairly minimal. I'm not sure if they are the same ones you put on 'shameless' when you owned her Chris or whether Keith replaced them!

Is there any chance you could post some photos of there restoration? :D
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Post by twister »

For all sorts of rubber extrusions, try Walker Rubber in Norwich: www.walker-rubber.co.uk

As has been mentioned before by several of us, Woolies, www.woolies-trim.co.uk , have the Albatross stuff...

Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Woolies Trim do one that's identical to the rubber on the Albatross screen.