Glastron Carlson CV 19 SS (1974)

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

JetDriver
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Glastron Carlson CV 19 SS (1974)

Post by JetDriver »

Beautiful jet boat. Have always admired the CV19 SS having watched the Live and Let Die boat chase numerous times.

Must sound great.
1977 Almarine Meteor Jetboat Restoration http://almarinemeteor.blogspot.com/

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Post by broompisces »

Thanks for that! It does sound quite impressive - I need to get some flappers on the exhausts though to (hopefully!) cut down the noise a bit.

My new crankshaft arrived from Iowa just before Christmas. The engine rebuild begins in earnest in January.

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

lovely boat - I used to instal the 455 Olds /Berkeley 12JC 'packajets' when I was a litle boy working as Technical Advisor to a boatbuilding company in Kuwait in 1976. One of the Sheikhs had a boat identical to your as well, I remember driving it with a pretty bikini-clad lebanese girl in the passenger seat....ho hum, memories...

The Olds is a great engine, much easier to work on than the big block chevvys as the spark plugs are above the exhaust manifolds. I've still got a complete Berkeley Jet Drive workshop manual if you need any jet info, plus I understand all the jet parts are easily obtained from the states.

jealous chairman chris

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

my mistake - that's a Berkeley 12JE not a JC. The JE is a transom mounted unit, whereas the JC is about 5" further into the hull, requiring a purpose built hull moulding. Both excellent jets, work beautifully with the low revving, hi torque yank big blocks. I fitted twin 12JE's into a 27footer with 440 cu ins chryslers - went really well but boy did it drink fuel!!

They're still going, but not in Berkeley anymore -

www.berkeleyjet.com

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

Well spotted - it is a "JE" jet drive, but it does require the hull moulding fitting - I've tried to post some pictures over the past week but I keep getting a server error message - maybe Robin can shed some light on the problem as I'm sure it's not at my end.

The Berkeley link you posted is a subsidiary company of "CP Performance" in California - two great sites with some amazing products; well worth a visit (CP Performance for general items). When I stripped the jet drive I discovered that the shaft was slightly bent and couldn't be repaired. I ordered a new shaft and several other bits from CP Performance (a.k.a. "Berkeley"!) on line at 10pm on a Wednesday night. I couldn't believe it when the courier knocked on my door the following Friday afternoon with the parts; some 40 hours later for a trip from California to Scotland - the Americans really know how to "ship" items quickly.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

broompisces wrote:Another image of the vinyl.................
Unfortunately my emails to my contact re. his upholsterer haven't been answered. Did you find a proper source for the vinyl? Only other time I see him is at Beale Park where he exhibits both his Colvic and the Caddy, but that's mid 2011...
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

I have located a supplier for the seat vinyl, but I need to confirm that they can heat pleat it - I've been trying for a couple of weeks to post an image here, but I keep getting an error message when I go to upload - I'm sure the problem isn't at my end?!

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Test
Attachments
Test pic
Test pic
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

broompisces

Post by broompisces »

Here's the message I'm getting;

Server error.

The website encountered an error while retrieving posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=2230. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Well that seemed to work OK, but I know there has been problems uploading pictures at times, I myself had issues a little while ago. Are you sure your image size isn't too big? Just a thought.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!